1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

figuring cost. itemized vs. bulked together

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grassmasterswilson, May 12, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Wondering how you guys like to figure your cost. Taking a leap of faith and going to do some major expanding.

I'm trying to get a handle on my cost per hour. I know all my fixed and variable cost. I'm just wondering what the best way to figure it is.

1. I can separate everythink. Mower cost divided by 2000 hours, blower divided by 1500 hours, truck divided by 100k miles etc etc etc.

2. I can figure up my weekly cost and divide by the actual billable hours spent mowing per week.

I'm guessing the result might be the same but many of my lawns take 40 minutes of which 15 minutes might be mowing and 25 minutes of trimming/blowing.

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I find that most of mine are 50 50 on mower/trimmer.

since most handheld/blower costs are around the same, you could assign rates for handheld and rates to mowers, then go that route. It may be overkill for each piece of equipment.