Figuring curbside leaf removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by FerrisDiesel, Nov 3, 2012.

1. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

We do full service cleanups and curbsides. I love curbsides. I usually send my two man vac crew out to do a curbside or two first thing in the morning while we get additional properties pushed out to the street. The blowing crew will try to stay ahead of the vac crew. I have a 35hp vac that cost $10k. It gets used about 6weeks out of the year. So I have it running as much as possible. We have already sucked up over 1000 cubic yards of leaves this year with about 4-5 days left.

2. socty

socty LawnSite Member

I learned the hard way that you have to charge a flat minimum for jobs under one hour, and a reasonable hourly rate after that. Keeping in mind how many dump trips you have to make and how far the trip will be. What cracks me up is that people expect the price to be the same year after year. Nature is variable, trees grow weirdly, and winds blow 17 different directions. Some years have storms, some have hurricanes, and all that crap lands on their lawns. You never know whats inside those piles till you start to suck em up. Seller beware!!!

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know, my fall clean up prices have been the exact same since I started my business 6 years ago.

4. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

5. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Wow yard guy you ever plan to retire.?! Nobody keeps the prices same for six years Unless they want to go out of business. So either you're really expensive or is just a matter of time till you go belly up
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe he has invested in equipment to become more efficent to reduce his job times.

7. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Well Gene if that's true then he should be charging just as much if not more to pay for that new fancy equipment. I'd love to know where he works because I want to move to a place where costs and expenses go down or stay the same for six years running.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

10. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Unless the upgrade was from rakes and barrels to blowers and loaders. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device