1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

figuring lawn cutting prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Nov 8, 2007.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

just curious how you guys figure your prices. I currently do mine by square footage, but am running into a few problems. I charge the same price year round and include leaf clean ups in my estimates. What about pine cones? Any help would be greatful.
  2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

forgot to say that customers in my area seem to want year round services since our growing season is march - october and then leaves fall from november - january.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Too many other factors involved. Mr.Smith's lawn is 20,000 sq. ft of turf. Mr. Miller lives 3 houses down and has 26,000. Mr. Smith has a cyclone fence around his backyard - about 400 linear ft., 7 trees, a shed, 2 beds, and a ditch in the front that has to be worked. Mr. Miller has 7 trees, but no fence, no ditch, and a small shed. Who pays more?
    This is just one example of variables. There are several others including logistics, access, quality desired, payment terms, etc..
  4. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I do mainly medium size yards. When i do those, i just charge $30 which includes cut, weedwacking, and eding of side walks. Ppl like that way alot. If they dont want the weedwacking and the edging of sidewalks then ill charge them $25. Very rairly to they say that they would rather pay me $25. All of the ppl i cut for think that $5 more is worth it for the weedwacking and edging
  5. B & A Lawn Care

B & A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yeah the problem with this business is you have a million people in it and the price to do business goes way down unfortunately for the reason of us. That being said for an easy/small yard i charge around 30-35 dollars.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've found that the best way to address pine cones is to equip your mower to side-discharge and then see how far you can send them. Maybe even see how many cars you can hit or something...
  7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Time + Overhead = Price to charge
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Again,...someone who starts at the other end and goes backwards....the exact way this formula is supposed to be worked. You do it this way,....you always come up with the right answer - no matter WHAT anyone else charges...:weightlifter:
  9. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I basically charge by the hour. Rates go up a little bit if there is a big/steep hill and/or the customer seems to be a perfectionist nitpicker.
  10. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i don't have a flat rate...... each home is different ..never the same something is always different so what i do is figure out how long it will take to take care of the home and add a few min. just in case and go from there....