figuring on how much black dirt needed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Mar 18, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Hey every one just got my first sod job and need to know how to figure how much black dirt needed. its 10by10 area is there a certain way of figuring it out?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

1-yard of"soil"is 27sq feet..so you take 10x10x however deep you want the soil to be..then take that # and divide it into 27square feet and you should have how much you need
    please correct me if I am wrong on this
    I say off the top of my head you need .1/2 yard
    Now a question why in the world would someone only want a 10x10 area of sod laid?

3. plantzpropertymanagement

its just a patch work job. So you figure it just like mulch?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yesssir but keep in mind the thickness of the sod .You can always remove some if you put down too much soil.Remember..it is "soil" not "dirt"

5. plantzpropertymanagement

thanks for your help

6. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

If it's just patch work do you need to add any? I would till the soil and add compost instead of more loam. You never want to just add a layer of soil over another with mixing the two, it wil creat drainage issues

7. plantzpropertymanagement

yeah i know what your saying what i do is just throw some black on top of the already tilled up dirt and then mix it. but yeah some compost might be better .