Figuring out costs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SullysAllSeasons, Jan 19, 2013.

1. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

That isn't my real cost just an example, but that is for a 3 man crew. My cost is actually lower than that.

2. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I totally agree with this statement. Maybe 5 years ago that would have been okay but nowadays with every moe, Larry and curly being a landscaper that definitely isn't happening. If you can get that per hour for a 3 or 4 man crew more power to you, but I don't see that happening in this economy.

3. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm definitely not paying anyone that works for me 40-50/hr. I don't charge by the hour if that's what you are getting at. That's basically the number I aim for and bust a$$ as hard as possible to get that, primarily with clean ups. Around 60-65/man hr for mowing is what I aim for. The numbers vary for installs depending on what the task at hand is.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Help me out here, I'm not figuring something right, if you have a two man mowing crew and your getting 60/mnhr your charging $60 for a lawn that takes 30mins to service?

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

He's solo, a lot of solo guys try to get $60 + PMH. I try to be around $50 PMH to be competetive yet cover my costs.

6. cpllawncare

Just asking here, man/hr = man/hr weather your solo or two or three?

7. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

His $60 to $75 is obtainable in our market especially in his suburb area. Most of my flat rate monthly contracts have $60 to $75 per hr for work outside the specs of the contract. Nobody flinches when they see the rate. Around here giving $50/hr rate happens but is more the mid to low rate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

People around me don't flinch when they see $75 PMH, they :cry:

Some guys down south are talking $30 PMH

Geography has A LOT to do with pricing.

9. cpllawncare

WOW! Now I know why everybody is moving here! Just don't move here and think your going to get 60-70/mnhr ain't happening. you can get 60/mnhr for mowing but for straight labor more like 30-40/mnhr I was at 45 last year and struggled like crazy on straight labor bids.

10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that is what I'm getting at.

Even if I had employees with me on maintenance properties the numbers per man hour don't change. However, on larger properties I'd be willing to reduce the amt per man/hr a little bit as less truck fuel burnt and wear & tear on trucks & trailers. I have a buddy whose company only does townhouses & commercials for maintenance and they average $50/man hr.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013