1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Figuring Out Payment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bob, Mar 8, 2003.

1. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there is a simple way to figure out payments on a handheld calculator unless it has that specific function. Here's a link to an amortization chart
    you can print out and take with you.http://www.newhomes-homesites.com/Financing/loancalculator.htm If you search around the net you might find a better one. Hope this helps.

2. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I think I would just buy a mortgage calculator and then use that in the field. They are not that expensive, certainly much less than a PDA. Unless of course you already have a PDA, then I'd go that route.

3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

it is hard to do on a cheapo wal-mart calcutlator yes. but if you just by a calculator with a y^x function ( to the power of as you put it) thats all you need. Cost about $15

Do you have excell or works on your computer?

They both have a payment function on them.

The formula looks like this

PMT(Principle,Rate,Term)

Again on a calculator

Payment = Principle * (1 - ( 1 / (1 + i )^n)) / i

Where " i " = the monthly interest rate
    and " n " = the number of months for the loan

You can do this on you computers calculator program also.

4. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

PRT
    1000x.05x6/12
    1000= principle
    .05= rate, interest
    6/12 =time , in this case 1/2 year

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I got a free copy of "Financial Eight Rate Mortgage Tables" at my local bank. The books breaks down the percentage rates and princible into monthly payments nessecary to amortize a loan. Beats trying to figure it out on a calculator, faster to. The book I have goes from 7% to 18%, I am sure there are other books that cover more % rates.

6. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

Do you want to do simple interest or compounded interest?

The answers you are getting .....some are for simple interest others are for compunded interest.

Adrian