Figuring your cut per hour.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ar_blazeman, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ar_blazeman

ar_blazeman LawnSite Member

I know that there are plenty of variables to each piece of property, mower and deck size but how can you figure your approximate cutting area per hour. The mower in question is a Grasshopper with a 52" deck? I know I saw a quick guide on here before and think it was figured with different size decks but can't seem to locate it now.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

alot of it is trial and error until you are there once or twice.

3. ar_blazeman

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was asked to do a one time 3 acre cut that has your normal 10 day growth to it with no trim work. The homeowner volunteered that it takes them about 4hrs with their 48", so I'm wondering how to figure my time. I've never done a cut that large before and I sure don't want to base it off what they say their cut time is only.

-Scott

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If it's any help, I cut a HOA that measures 4.16 acres. I cut it with a 52" Wright Sentar and it takes me right around 3-3.25 hours.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I've cut a yard that is almost exactly 2 acres for the past 4 years. Until 3 weeks ago, I had a 50 inch Z. Several trees to mow around, and, of course, the house, which would probably take longer than just mowing 2 acres with no obstacles. Normal mowing, average time to mow only ran about 1 1/2 hours, or 45 minutes per acre. Hope that helps.

6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your looking at 1.5-2 hours if its a straight cut, flat land very few obstacles.

7. ar_blazeman

Thanks to you all for your comments and help.