File a claim on this or no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 9, 2007.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We have inland marine coverage for our equipment. The premium is only $450 per year.

We have six trailers, 5 of which are mowing crews. The mowing crews each have about $3500 worth of "big" stuff (mowers, blowers, line trimmers, edgers) and another $500 or so worth of small stuff (tool box, gas cans, etc.)

Yesterday, someone stole a line trimmer, edger and blower out of a trailer while my crew was in the back mowing the lawn. Replacement cost is $1100 after sales tax.

Worst case scenario: All trailers get broken into at once, while at our storage facility, by someone with a REALLY large trailer and a cutting torch and we lose EVERYTHING at once. Very unlikely.

More than likely, the worst thing that might happen is someone takes off with our trailer while our crew is eating lunch or something like that. We carry a separate policy for the trailer itself. In reality, about the biggest claim we could have is $3500. This assumes they don't mess with our shrub trimming crew.

Would you file a claim on this or not?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

What is your deductible ?
    Will you get replacement cost or market value
    If you have a 500.00 deductible and market value is 900.00
    Ask the agent if you premium will go up?
    Under this case is 400.00 worth it ?????????

3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

If you can avoid a claim on your insurance, your better off. Usually it raises your premium. I just had an accident with my trailer where someone crossed the center line and took out the axles. It has taken long enough to settle that I am considering self insuring. I will set back enough money in the bank to cover all of my equipment, and then instead of having to pay a premium for coverage, I will collect interest on the money. Of course, some sort of liability insurance will have to be purchased. Other than that, I will cover my own costs. Faster and usually cheaper.

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Insurance,IMO, is a necessary evil. Prolly one of the biggest lawful rip offs. I have 1000 deductible because I wont use it unless its a major loss. I dont really have a good thing to say about insurance or the agents. They are the equal to sleazy used car salesmen and shister lawyers.

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt even worry about insuring the equipment. I would self insure. I only carry liability on my work vehicles. And the only reason there is insurance on my equipment is its included in my general liability insurance but there is a 10,000 cap for equipment.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i am insuring close to 40 thousand in equipment.... someone uninsured causing an accident could cause my business to come to an end...

accident, fire tornado, what ever, i loose my stuff, i get it replaced ....

DFW i would not in this case file a claim.... sucks, but probable the cheapest way out in the long run..

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone hits me and they are uninsured, if the wreck didnt kill them I would.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't answer your question concerning the claim, but the case of someone unhooking my trailer from my truck and taking off with it got me to thinking about that sometime last year. The one thing I started doing is ALWAYS pull the keys from the ignition and put them in your pocket, this should help prevent someone from driving off with the entire outfit, and then I kept thinking, and looking...

Now these things are not cheap, but I did buy a locking pin for the receiver, and I also have the tongue latch padlocked in place.
    I suppose you can cut the lock with bolt cutters, but simply unhooking it is at least for now out of the question.

Hope that helps, sorry to hear about the loss.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Back to origional question - I probably would not file a claim, as much as it sucks, I would most likely just eat it.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$1100? I simply write a check.