File a Lein for Non Payers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jimithing31, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

I am new to this industry and this site and am learning quite a bit. I recently bought a lawn business where I acquired 45 accounts and all the equipment. I added 6 accounts in the first two weeks I have been in operation.

My question is what are the thoughts on filing a Lein on ones home for non payment? I know here in Florida a contractor can do this for construction services of any kind.

Are there fees associated in doing this with courthouses? Seems like a pretty sure way to get your money. Although it may take a while, eventually they will have to pay and just the threat of a Lein may prompt someone to pay immediatly.

Looking for opinions

Thanks

2. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

I know here in OK you have to let the person know in advance that if they do not pay a lien will be placed on their property. Also, it's about $25 to file.

3. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

Man only one reply to this?? THought more would have jumped in on this topic...

Anyone .. Anyone...
    :)

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure its not a rental, if it is your out the $$.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Search the topic, there are dozens of threads on this subject.

6. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

You can easily go to the courthouse, see if the property is owned by your debtor. There will most likely be a fee to file a small claim. The sheriff will notify the debtor of your intent to sue by delivering nice letter to their home or work, with the court date on it. A judge will decide if there is a judgement placed against the property.

This will probably only work if there is property to secure the lein with. Otherwise, you may just have to place it with a collection agency and let them hound the debtor until they pay.