File folder for each customer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Dec 10, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Those of you that use a file cabinet, do you have a file on each customer or is this a waste of time and space? I am currently using Lawn Monkey and have an electronic file of each and every customer. I was thinking of starting a file folder for each customer (probably only active weekly customers) so that way I could place the return invoice in each folder. I would also keep a copy of a map of how to get to the house in each folder, along with notes and such.

Does anyone do this?
    Thanks
    MATT

2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Yes I do both, I have a real file and an electronic file for each customer. It is very helpful for me and saves me a ton of time looking for invoices. If a customer ever calls with a dispute over services or payments you can quickly look at invoices.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah we have a file for each too.

but its because i'm anal. i also back everything up on cd. keep a copy off site. and keep a paer trail on everything. in case of computer failure, fire, etc.

4. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

paper and computer files. paper files are those items that would not typically be on the hard drive; route check lists, customers "love" notes, record of projects & phone conv. its the "anal" thing in all of us. with regards... devildog

5. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

What do you mean? You mean you guys actually keep records?

I just thought I would beat The Lawn Chopper to the punch. You know?.... I really am getting to like his posts.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I guess it is a little bit anal. I get it from my dad I guess. He's a retired accounant and keeps records of EVERYTHING. I remember his dad, my grandpa, use to keep EVERY receipt and I mean every....even from the grocery store. I am not that anal, but thought it might be a good idea, like nu83 said, if there was a dispute, you can bring it up quickly if it's on file.

Thanks
    MATT

7. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

We have files on all our customers along with every penny they have paid, check #'s, maps, pictures of their property, special notes, phone conversations, crew comments, complaints, praises, etc. We can e-mail their bills, fax their bills, debit their credit cards, and send them 1st class. The only thing we keep on real paper is the route sheets with the handwritten start and stop times that the crews use. All this is in our "Clip" program which is backed up regularly.

8. danp

danp LawnSite Member

walker-talker,

Have you considered using a scanner to maintian old records? I have used this method to maintain records in my previous business, and it seemed to work well when integrated with the standard industry applications.

Just a thought!

Dan

9. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

we use Real Green's Lawn Assistant 3 software...no need for paper, everything mentioned above is stored in customer file on computer (notes, pictures, the whole 9 yards) and backed up daily on two seperate zip disk, one goes home with me, one stays at office in safe

10. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Just a word of warning. I have a great friend that is a General Contractor and he was using backing up his bookkeeping program on 5 different zip discs. He found out that 4 of the 5 zips were bad. Problem was he found out when his computer crashed. He called in his computer guru and he fixed the computer and was able to retrieve alot of the bad harddrive. Thankfully, he had paper records to fill in the remaining missing information.