Filing a Lien

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernCutter, Oct 14, 2007.

1. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

How do you file a lien? I mowed for my neighbor who moved to charleston, and now she wont pay me, so i quit mowing for her, and now her grass is about 3-4 feet high. Her house has been for sale for a long time. The yard looks terrible, and i sent her an email telling her i would cut it, but she got mad and still wont cut it. I want my money now, So how do i file a lien....Its just 25 dollars, but i want my money.

2. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

In Tennessee, you are required to send a certified letter with a 10 day notice of intent to proceed with a lien on the property. A return receipt is to your benefit. Upon receiving the return receipt, I recommend you call the customer to see if it can be settled amicably. If this is not an option, then proceed with your local county clerk's form. There is a fee to file a lien and it will vary according to your locale. Your best defense is a good offense. Also, be aware that when you file the lien, you may be entitled to any necessary attorney fees, along with court costs and filing fees. This needs to be added into the total of the lien prior to filing. A good rule of thumb to follow is to take action once an account has reached 30-45 days past due. Usually, sending a notice of demand for payment certified after 30 days will be enough to receive your payment in a more timely manner and with less hassle on your part. Good luck.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you thought about taking her to small claims court?
    I just got an e-mail from a former customer who said the check she gave me came back for insufficient funds, I've been waiting for that check for more than 1/2 a year and now she says she will send me a money order, I replied if I get a service charge from this she will be responsible to pay it, Hope you get paid, money is money!

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Southern Cutter and dave K, try olddebts.com. I saw this topic mentioned over on another forum on this website. They have an option where you can pay like 10 bucks and they will send one letter to the cust demanding instant payment. If they still choose not to pay, the debt is reported to all 3 credit agencies, (Experion, Transunion and Equifax) and it is a permanent negative mark on their credit. Hope this helps.

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

You file a mechanic's lien at your County Recorder's Office, but it's usually $25-30 filing fee for the affidavit (to place the lien) and the same fee again when the debt is paid (to file the affidavit that it was paid) and you have 30 days to remove it. At least that's how Ohio works. I've had to place a few, but the debt was always substantial or we just wrote it off.

Small claims court has a filing fee of $50-100 and each document you file or court date you have will tack on to the court costs. Hope you win and hope the judge you have grants filing fees in the order.