Filing for unemployment?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MikeKle, Nov 18, 2007.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I did a search on this and came up with no results.Since the season is winding down and the drought killed my income this year,I have been looking for winter work.Every where I apply seems very not interested once they see I do lawn care full time,I guess they know I plan on qutting come March! A customer suggested filing for unemployment during the winter.I am not sure i can do this since I am the owner,but I pay plenty of taxes every year,I might as well take advantage of it if I can! Im sure these laws vary from state to state,but here in KY its usually less strict on things like this.Anybody ever try going this route in the off-season?

2. logical

logical LawnSite Member

Hey, why don't I just send you a check directly and avoid the middleman? Or maybe you should narrow your services down to just Christmas decorations and get 11 months of unemployment.

All I can say is that if you somehow can get some kind of unemployment then something is wrong.
    • you aren't an employee
    • you aren't unemployed, you own a seasonal business an it is the off-season
    • you may pay taxes but probably not unemployment tax like a business with employees does

Geeze, if I go on my head may explode...somebody take over.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

As the owner of the business you cannot file for unemployment. I would suggest not telling a potential employer that you own a lawn service. Either that or go to a temp agency or try construction.

4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Iam a employee of my business . We are INC and are a sub s and yes i pay unemployment taxes every quarter on myself . When the season ends i quit taking a paycheck and dont take another till start up late march early April . Why should we have to pay if we cant draw on it

5. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

There are so many things wrong with what you said I dont know where to begin. It seems that people that forgotten that unemployment is for those that have a tough time finding a job and need assistance to SURVIVE. You have one, and just because it is a seasonal job does not mean you should collect unemployment. If you cannot handle seasonal work and save for the winter, then you should find another job/area of business. When I hear things like this I remember why it hurts so much to pay unemployment taxes....
    Anyway...walmart is always hiring...

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I agree i have never drawn a single unemployment check , but why should we have to payinto it if we are the owners and never try to draw a dime off it

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I'm with Chuck. I'm an LLC and take a salary during the season. I'm required to pay unemployment insurance on my salary and therefore believe I should be able to collect if I become temporarily "unemployed" during the off season, just like my other employees can and sometimes do. If I can't collect because I'm a principal, then I should be exempted from paying the taxes on my salary for the same reason.

Those of us that run things legit and take a salary like the IRS wants us to really get screwed in so many ways.

8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats really bad is I got my notice that because of some "formula" my unemployment tax rate is going up to the highest. Most of what I pay in is for myself and I can't draw. If it isn't the gas prices or other costs driving you out of business, its the taxes and insurance.

9. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

the only problem i see with unemployment is say you pay in the first year thats fine. but then you draw on it in the off season and look out next year cuz your really gonna pay into it. they dont mind taking it but when they have to give they will make you pay dearly for it next year. i dont pay into it because i dont draw a check. i stay busy in the winter doing excavation work.

10. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

I can understand why you would wonder this, and being that your part of the world was hit with an exceptional drought this year.... I don't blame you looking for an easy way out after the rough year. These guys are right, you can't draw unemployment. What I have done in the past and many of the people I worked with is find the worst construction job.... insulation, concrete, somthing that could pay cash. payup ......Now is the important part!!!!! find yourself a slit-seeder or an aerator and start selling spring seedings(a silver lining) maybe get in good with a rental guy and reserve the equipment. Don't give up and sell out, it's the companies who survive the droughts that take over. also, there will be a surplus of work next year (all the guys thst sold out) tough it out and you will be rewarded.