Filing Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by StBalor, Jul 6, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

i am currently filing all my paperwork into monthly folders. I am thinking of changing this to a folder for each client. But this my eventually be alot of seperate folders as i currently have 73 clients for mowing. I was thinking of keeping their paperwork in the monthly folder till they payed then moving it to their personal folder, this should make it alot easier to look something up.
    Any ideas on how you guys do this would be appreciated.

2. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Use Quickbooks or some other accounting software. It is much easier to track you billing and customers on the PC.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use columnar analisys pads, which are like a spreadsheet but on paper. All my customers fit on one sheet (40 per side), one sheet takes care of two weeks, once the two weeks is up I have one sheet to put away which adds on to the existing stack since day 1, all of which fit in one file folder thus far.
    Because then there's the bank statement file folder, the car insurance / etc folder, the taxes folder, the computer-related accounts folder, geez it never ends but I am one serious promoter of the Paperwork Reduction Act created ca. 1976.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All our customers have their own subfolder for their hardcopies, too. I think of each one as a patient. Their records are VERY thorough.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have no paper for any customer. What am I NOT keeping in a file?

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I used to do something similar... I had an "accounts receivable" folder that copies of unpaid invoices would be in. After a customer paid, that copy would go into their permanent file. It was easy enough to see who hadn't paid yet, just glance into the AR folder. I would definitely make the effort to make a separate file for each customer.

Now everything is on the computer (QuickBooksPro), which has greatly reduced paper but even with backing up I am always nervous about having records accidentally erased.

7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I use no paper. Everything is done on the computer and a folder for each customer is on the computer. I back everything up daily on a flash memory, weekly on a ZIP and monthly on a CD. At the end of the year I print out two sheets of paper for my accountant.