Filing System/Month End

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CWilliams, May 19, 2005.

1. CWilliams

CWilliams LawnSite Member

Ok, I need help. I have made folders for each of our customers and for each expense we have. I'm trying to determine if I need to file in these folders all year (i.e. all gas receipts for the year would be in one folder, etc.) or if I need to file these expenses during the month. At the end of the month I would gather them all up and put them with our month-end reports. I would handle customer invoices and receipts for payments the same way.

How do you all do it? Monthly or yearly?

Thanks!

2. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

We do it yearly, but I am considering switching to quarters. I run the standard chart of accounts through simply accounting on the computer and then have folders for all of my expense accounts. I file my invoices and reciepts in the proper folder after entering it on the computer and just keep putting new ones at the front of the folders as i go.

At the end of the year naturally some of the folders are very full...So that may be reason to change over to monthly or quarterly.

I suppose if you are a really big company it may be easier and more clear for finding things in a hurry if you filed monthly. But I have been doing it yearly and it works even as our volume triples each year.

Also, this year I stopped running hard copies of every customer. I only keep folders for maintenance contracts and have all their info and invoices in there.

For one time sales less than 1500.00 I dont even keep a paper trail, i just do it on the computer...This is legal where i am as long as you can provide weekly back ups for the revenue agency if you get audited.

Then i file one time sales over 1500.00 in either commercial or residential.

I am interested in hearing what other ppl are doing for this.

-Reuben