Fill Dirt Removal Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by carolinagreen, Jun 24, 2008.

1. carolinagreen

carolinagreen LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

We are doing a commercial install and need to remove some fill dirt. 3 inches of dirt to be exact and in a six foot wide area. The perimeter of the property will have a mulch bed that surrounds the property. The builder filled the bed all the way to flush with the curb. So we need to remove 3 inches to replace with mulch. There are some rocks we need to remove as well.

My question is what machine would make the most sense to rent for the job? Bearing in mind there's only 6 feet width between the parking lot and the retaining wall.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

shovels , wheelbarells , pick-ax -ramp - dump truck -3 men-

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. Why does everyone want to rent a machine. Three inches is nothing. Save the money on the rental and pay me the 300 and I will be there on time and done in 45 minutes.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and load 16 yards of dirt into a tri-axle with a wheelbarrow. If it were my job i would rent a small excavator with a grading bucket and pull and load as you go with a man or two cleaning up behind you.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Carolina,

How long is the perimeter? Can make a huge difference. If the perimeter is 100' that's 6 cubic yards calculated. Add about 25% to the volume to deal with all the air gaps with the excavated debris and overdig and you have about 8 yds. 300' and you'll figure for 21 yds.

Another thing to factor in would be distance traveled. Can the dump truck (assuming that's what you are going to use) pull right next to the machine or does the machine have to travel back to a parking lot or something to reach the dump truck? Does the rental machine have the ability to make a 90 degree turn without hitting the wall?

Little more info is needed but sounds as if a smaller skid steer would be your best bet.

JNyz,

work smarter not harder.

rent the machine...after all you aren't paying for it the customer is. Instead of having it take all day have it take half a day and utilize the machine for another job.

6. JNyz

That is why I have three loaders Lupe, Juan, Gerado.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Well hopefully they are legal.

8. JNyz

H2 B for 5 years now.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

do you provide ladders or ramps for them to get the excavated material into the tandem?

10. JNyz

where does it say he needs a tamdem???