fill'er up on the way to a hill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering how a Z's handling is effected by the amount of fuel in the tanks?

Full tanks = better traction?
    Full tanks = more top heavy?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There's no way to tell any difference.... nothing noticable.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Envy, after all your research, you should buy one by now. You will then understand. I've never told one difference in fuel amounts.

4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

The only suggestion I have would be to make sure you have enough gas, so you don't run out while cutting the hill.

5. Envy Lawn Service

I have already bought one thank you very much! But I guess you wouldn't know that would you? Why? Because I didn't feel the need to come on here and brag about it.

I would think the weight of 11+ gallons of gas would be somewhat noticeable.

Anyways, the reason I asked is because I have been running "light" on fuel every since I bought it. I've been trying to avoid any additional weight due to the weather conditions.

So I was wondering what, if any changes in handling I could expect when I do decide to fill'er up.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Envy - You bought a new machine and didn't tell us????? Please fess up and tell us what you got. Unless it's a Murray of course.:D :D :D

7. deason

deason LawnSite Member

You can count on 1 Gal of fuel to weigh about 7 lbs.

But, whats the point? I have never even thought about the weight of the fuel when cutting. Seems to me that it would be counter-productive to gauge your cutting stops based on how full your tanks are. :rolleyes:

Fill er up and lets go!!

8. Envy Lawn Service

2003 Yazoo/Kees ZT Max Mini Z 48" ;)

If you've never seen one, Hustler's mini z is a close copy of one.

I just didn't feel I needed to come on here bragging about it and all. I figured I'd post later about why I bought it and about the performance "after" I had logged plenty of seat time.

I blew a wad of $ for this year. Most of what I have is new now. I guess I could consider that a weight reduction and maybe add a gallon more to each tank...LOL

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Hope it works out well for you.

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to remember to fill'em up before cutting hills. Not for traction or anything like that, but all of the fuel runs to one side of the tank and it's easy to run the carb out of fuel.