1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

filling a hole

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Mar 22, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i need to fill a hole, 4 ft wide, by 4 feet long, and 8 feet deep. im using fill dirt. according to my calculations, i need about 7 yds of soil. does this sound right?
  2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I get 128 cubic feet (4 x 4 x8 = 128). Then 128 cubic feet divided by 27 cubic feet per cubic yard gives me 4.74 cubic yards.

3. Commander

Commander Banned

If this hole is 8' deep, why not dump some junk stones you may have in there as well? I know a lot of people like to burry stuff whenever they can, this sounds like a good opportunity to do that.
  4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Why not build a seat with an opening in it over the hole? Might take a while to fill the hole though.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I think in the end you will use more than 5 yards if you are compacting the lower layers as you fill the hole. Otherwise it will settle with time.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The fireman is right, figure 20% extra for compaction when deciding volume for fill, goes the same for excavating.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

lawnlad, that was great, laughed my ass off. ill run it by the customer, ill let u know if they say go 4 it