1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Filling a Large Pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Stan MI, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have a pond approx 275' x 150' in places its over 20' deep. Usually during the Fall and Spring, depending on weather it gets close to being full. Every summer as the days go by the water gets lower and lower. I'd like a low cost solution to keeping it filled. Did a search here and seems like drilling a well is the anwser. How is that done. Can I do it by myself or do I need the local well driller.
  2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

id opt for the local well driller.
  3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I would also opt for a local well driller. This may be the cheapest method available. However, i would highly recommend using a standard surface pump over a submersible well pump, as it aids for easy maintenance and any needed repair. Nowadays, you can find a well pump (low pressure, high gallonage) for a few hundred dollars. I use a well pump for all outdoor irrigation and filling my pond, and city water for household uses.
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

On the last property that we were caretakers for, we had water flowing into it once a day from the sprinkler system as it's own zone. It was three ponds connected by a waterfall and a stream. Total size for all three was roughly 300'X100' and thyey were 6' deep. At times, I had to leave it of for a day or two becuase it was too much, 45 min a day just wouldn't hold the water where it needed to be. These ponds were set up like a swimming pool and pumps circulated the water and sent it back into the ponds at 8 different locations also.