Filling basement windows with concrete

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Mar 7, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

We have a veneer job to do, and there are a couple of basement windows located in area that would really look better if they weren't there. so, we're considering filling the windows and being able to veneer right over them.

Anybody ever do anything like this? Any suggestions on the best way? I have a couple ideas, but I'd like some unsolicited input from someone else. In other words, I don't want to share my lousy ideas and screw up somebody elses good thought process

Here is a pic of the area in question

P1010084a.JPG

2. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

I've just had a mason block them in. It was to raise the grade around the house in one area, parged over it. Worked fine.

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Mark that looks like a block wall, i think just infilling them with concrete block and parging (don't know it that's spelled right?) over the outside would be just fine. what is on the inside, garage? we actually just got done doing it in brick on a old house this week.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The area in question looks like a poured wall to me. The form lines are showing. I did something similar to my basement altho it was a block wall. You can just lay it up with block flush with the outside. Just get some shorter and half blocks as needed. Good Luck!

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Thanks, guys.

Yes, it's a basement, and it is a poured foundation. I figured block would be easiest, but I thought also about using cement board, just in case, for whatever reason, someone decided they wanted the windows again after all.

I don't think it's worth the effort though.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of veneer are you doing on the house?

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What about glass blocks to change the look toward the veneer? That way you still have some sunlight filtering into the basement. I know it's not what you asked for but it's a thought.

8. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

it would be really easy to fill with concrete.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You or the homeowner need to check with the local building codes. You have to have so many sq. inches of window per Sq. ft of floor space below ground. Just like you are required to have so many electrical outlets per room and exterior lights at each exterior door. The city/county wants things the way they want them.

This would not have any effect until your homeowner decides to sell or remodel the home then it will become an issue.

10. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

I would pull out the windows, frame in the windows with pressure treated 2 x 4's and install a durarock cementboard flush with the outside concrete. Put your veneer over it and call it a day. Then if you ever had to take it out you could. if the basement is finished insulate the framing and sheetrock.