Filling cracks

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by rcslawncare, Dec 2, 2010.

1. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best method to fill cracks in asphalt... They are about a 1/4 to 1/2 in wide and go for 20 to 30 feet. I didn't know if I could mix up something and put it in without the use of heat. Thanks!!

2. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i just was on ebay under sealcoating and now they sell crack sticks that you heat with a hand held propane torch. not sure if they work, but worth a look at. i have been sealing driveways for my customers and we just buy the gallon jug of crack filler. we are looking to expand more into this biz next season.

3. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool, Ill have to look at it, since I have a customer that has a vacant building and the lot needs a little TLC. I don't want to get into it too much, just a one time deal, so hopefully I can find something like what you said! Thanks for the response!

4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

If your planning on doing a lot of crack work, use a crack kettle, you put big block of rubber in it, then the machines heats it up for you, then when its all melted you just applied. You just have to make sure the crack is thoroughly cleaned first.

5. E&IAsphaltMaintenance

E&IAsphaltMaintenance LawnSite Member
    from NWI

Agreed, we have a 10 gallon walk behind.. :)

6. donmac1970

donmac1970 LawnSite Member

the strings of rubber take to long and one pulled out on a tire. stayed sticky for 2 days even with sand coat. i would recommend just getting a melter and a pour pot. plus trying to melt the product into the crack it kept starting on fire... looked very unprofessional i am sure. that was when i just started out. doing allot better now but thinking back i can laugh about it now.