1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

filling in a pool...few problems

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i need to get up a small hill, today i got stuck bc i broke the air valve on the tire somehow...the contractor that hire me ordered the fill, it was very dense loam, more like thick mud to me...

anyways i started building a little ramp to offset this small hill, in which i need to climb in order to fill in the inground pool...

so tomorrow i plan on bringing in 2-3 tons of gravel to put on this hill to make a path to the fill

does this sound ok?
  2. farmboy555

farmboy555 LawnSite Member

What kind of equipment are you doing it with? The gravel will help for sure.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Rather than spreading gravel and then having to remove it once the job is done, it's probably a lot cheaper just to rent a tracked machine for the day. Less aggrevation.
  4. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

tracked machine all the way, i cant imagine doing it with a skid. theres no way to have it dumped straight into the pool though?
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Without seeing what your dealing with it sounds like you need a bigger machine. What about a 4x4 dump truck load the material in take it up dump it and being offroad you could move 3 yards at a time.

Good Luck
  6. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

What kind of pool, vinyl liner or gunite and how big is this hill?
    How about some pictures if you can get some.
    Are you taking it out or just knocking holes in it and filling it in with fill?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like fun
  8. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

yup, thats what i thought i was going to hear from you guys... track machine... thats exactly what i told the GC this morning...o well...another lesson learned...thanks all
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Good call. Gravel would cost just as much as the track loader rental for a day, plus you have the cost of spreading it and removing it after the job is done.