Filling in Ditch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gqnine44, Dec 6, 2006.

1. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently agreed to fill in my neighbor's ditch (along the road) for him. The ditch is only about 2' deep. I will be using 12" plastic corrugated pipe. My question is...Is it necessary to install gravel under the pipe? I am leaning toward not using any gravel because I dont really see a purpose for it. All of the neighbors I have talked to used gravel under their pipes but dont necessarily know why. What do you think? Thanks for the help!

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

It wouldn't hurt but it also wouldn't help. Are you connecting to culverts? You're just wanting to move water out the way right vs a french drain? What is the slope? You may want to still leave somewhat of a swale to carry water.

3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

It will depend on if you are going to be driving over it. If you are just going to sod over it to make the yard look better then gravel my not be as nessesary. If you are going to drive over it then I would gravel for sure.

Just remember, gravel will not settle like dirt will. If it was me I would back fill with gravel then put a few inches of dirt for sod.

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend you contact your county because Warren and other county's will NOT allow you to fill in ditches by the road. I have told people before to check and they didn't then the county came and made them dig it all back out.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a permit from the county. The pipe will be covered over with soil and seed as it is part of the guy's yard. The pipe's slope will be very slight downstream but not too steep that the pipe will end lower than the next neighbor's driveway colvert.

I will leave a slight swale above ground to carry water from the house, etc. and hopefully take it downstream.

I was just wondering if rocks will be worth the effort or serve a purpose? Will it help prevent the pipe from settleing any more than dirt? Thanks

6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

it will still settle but not as much it is possible to lose your fall in places with just dirt. as the dirt under the pipe settles so will the pipe

7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

If your not using slotted drain tile and are only interested in moving water rather than dispersing it, I wouldn't worry bout any rock around the piping. But if you are looking to disperse and move water by using the slotted drain tile then I'd say put 4-6" of pea rock around the tile to keep water flowing. But if using solid drain tile then the rock would just be a waste of money.

But as was mentioned earlier check with any codes concerning this. These are not always disclosed when getting a permit.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if youa re using slotted /courogated pipe, i would consider putting a sock over the pipe, to prevent nay sediment from entering the pipe. Whenver i did any laying of the corrogated pipe. I wrapped the tranch with filter fabrick, back filled 57 stone, and then wrapped the top of the tranch with filter fabric then adde dmy soil/seed/sod

the rock will help disperse and move the water as well as the pipe, in essence givving you a "larger pipe" and more h20 holding ability.

9. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a good point. It totaly slipped my mind.

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the reason people place rock under the pipe is so that it is simpler to align the pipes together, old sod and dirt are alot harder to even up than 2 ton of half inch rock. never installed and plastic pipe but when we put in the galvanized pipe it makes it alot simpler when we have a little rock under it