Filling Low Areas

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jlester97yo, Apr 24, 2006.

1. jlester97yo

jlester97yo LawnSite Member

I have a house where the previous owner had two large dogs with an underground fence. The fence was quite a ways in from the actual property line. The dogs apparently ran back and forth along the fence edge and wore down a fairly noticeable path. The topsoil along that path is probably 1" or so lower than the surrounding turf and about 3-4 inches wide. What is the best way to repair that type of damage? There are also several holes where the dogs apparently dug pretty frequently. Can I just fill both problems in with topsoil to level them and then seed over those areas? The yard is mostly bluegrass and in pretty decent shape otherwise.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Is the grass dead where the dogs ran? How compacted is the soil where they ran? Try to push in a soil sampler or large screw driver. If you cannot push hem in easily the soil is compacted and needs to be relieved. Aerate it real well
    If the grass is not dead, you can fill in with some top soil and let the grass grow up through it. If it is dead you can do the same and seed into the topsoil.

One final way that is alot quicker is to take a sod cutter and lift the soil / grass that is compacted. Spread enough soil below it to level the area and put the cut sod back. Just lay the sod to ne side and then roll it back over the filled area. I have done this and it works good for lifting sunken areas. Especially where they have trenched over a lawn in years past and it has settled with good grass growth.

3. jlester97yo

jlester97yo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The grass is pretty well dead in those areas too. You are right on one thing, it looks a lot like a yard after a trench settles.

Jason

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

My dad had this same problem a few years ago. We laid back about 4 foot of sod levelled in some nice top soil and put the sod back. Did a nice level job.