filling permagreen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nitroman, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I just got a new magnum, I'll have a 200 gal poly in the bed w/ 400 ft. hose from lesco. How should go about doing my calculations if I'm spraying about 1.75 to 2 gal a min. with a 1.5 oz. per 1k product from the hose. I want to refill the permagreen with the tank and use the hose for hills and hard to get areas. The permagreen is suppose to be a hot load. Do I just assume that ever 2 gal that goes into the perma. has 1.5 oz. of product. Then add the difference of what product is missing in the rider? That seems pretty common since like but I just wanted to hear your ideas and ways of doing thing.

Thanks,:waving:

2. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member

i have the same problem getting answers.first they ask you if you have a license,then think you stupid..sometimes people forget where they came from..sorry just the way i feel..we're all just learning'''''''''

3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I do if I need to use my tank also. Same situation just adjust the rate in accordance with the calibration chart for you Perma Greent vs. the 2.0 spray rate for your spray tank.

4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

You need to findout what square footage you are getting out of the big tank first.
    Then figure out the difference in the big tank rate and the PG rate. Add the extra needed material in the PG and fill the PG from the big tank.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

what i do is fill out of a 100gal fresh water tank and mix in the pg it's self. this eliminates ALL guess work and you don't have to worry about product left over. mine is elivated higher then the pg and is gravity feed thru a 1" hose w/ valve on the end, fills in less the a 30 sec.

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

#1 are you spraying from a d30 pump or an electric pump.
    d30 is probabally giving 2-3 gal per minute.
    find the output of every sprayer you have. mark it in a log book.
    make a path 10 x 100 for your 1000 sq ft. you need to do this for every product that sprays.
    start spraying like you normally do and time it (dont watch the timer)
    DO THIS WITH ALL OF YOUR APPLICATION DEVICES (chem gun, jd9, wand)
    when you have completed the 1000 sq ft. get the time
    these are crucial things to the correct application of all pesticides.
    get your walking speed down pat. Know it with pump pressures.(comes in time)
    now once there is no doubt in your mind your application rates with whatever
    sprayer you are going to use, you vsn do the math.
    lets say atrazine at 3oz per 1000 sq. ft.
    your jd9 puts out 2.5 gallons per 1000.
    your going on 100 gallons always (easiest)
    100 gallons at 2.5 per minute means you can spray 40000 sq ft.
    that is 100 gallons divided by 2.5 is 40. that is how many 1000 sq ft you can spray.
    3oz times 40 equals 120 ozs in 100 gallons.
    (100 gallons @ 4 gal per min. = 25000sq ft./ 25 x 3ozs = 75 ozs.)
    (100 gallons @ 5 gal per min = 20000sq ft / 20 x 3ozs = 60 ozs.)
    you get the idea...
    the more gallons that comes out of the spray wand
    the less pesticide you have to mix.
    the less spray the more you have to mix. It is called low volume spray...
    much like out of an electric pump.
    hope this didnt confuse anyone but the key is KNOWING how much volume you are putting out the rest is simple math.
    One last thing...
    If you are mixing an odd amount say 70 gallons, once you get your answer (always working off 100 gallons) just multiply by .70.
    Example:
    I want 70 gallons of finished spray i am spraying 4 gpm and want 3ozs per 1000 sq ft.
    100gallons/4gpm=25000 sq ft i can spray in a 100 gallon tank.
    25k sq ft x 3oz per 1000 =75 ozs of product mixed into 100 gallons of water
    take the 75 and multiply it by .70 = 52.5 (round it up to 53 )
    53 ozs of product into 70 gallons of water.
    if you can follow that you will have no problems...payup

7. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

To make Olive123 story shorter, you were originally on the right track. Take how much concentrate that you mix per/gal. in your truck rig and fiqure how much more needs to go into the PG. The PG do mix hot, be careful I followed the recommendations in the PG manual and herbicide burned a lawn. The difference between the two is volume, your tank rig sprays with more water than the PG. What I did is mixed lighter, then moved it up. I actually use 1 oz./gal. in my PG, but I'm adding 1.5oz for every gal. out of my truck tank. Follow me. The PG is a 12 gal. tank so if you mix your truck tank @ 1.5 and fill up your PG tank you are adding 18 oz. of concentrate. Then just add the rest. The PG says it should spray about 50k sq. ft. , but you will want to calibrate it and fiqure how much overlap you are going to use, based on your fert. rate. Good Luck!

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I dont have a magnum. But the info here is on....I usually mix out of a 50gal tank of clean water. But...I have in the past had to mix the 50 gal tank to spray at 2 gal per 1,000 of mixed material. So if the rate is 1.5 oz per 1,000 I have a solution of .75 oz of chemical per gal of water at the 2 gal per 1,000 rate. My ultra uses 8 gallons of water and covers about 32,000 sq ft.

Soooo when I put the current mix into the PG I have 6 oz of chemical in the tank which is 8 gal.... now I just subtract the total the I need to cover 32,000 sq ft which is...drum roll.....42 oz of chemical at 1.5 oz per thousand.

Here is the twist....SOMO1 is dead on..... The Pg mix is hot....if the label recommends 1.5 oz per 1000 I am less in the PG. the above math says that I should be at 48 oz per 8 gal of water to cover 32,000 sq ft. I have found that I get some yellowing at this rate.... I mix at 40 oz per 8 gal of water in the PG. Just my experience.

But it also may depend on your machine's calibration and the product you are using.

Basically you need to know how much chemical you have already diluted and how much you need to have in the mix to work at the PG rate.

Trial and error....start with less chemical....it costs less to respray than it does to replace a lawn.

9. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Whatever you have mixed in the 200 gal tank has to be included in the total mix of the PG. Example; PG calls for 8oz. per gallon and you have 2 oz per gallon mixed in your other tank. If you use that for fill ups you would only mix 6 oz per gallon in the PG. Use an empty 2.5 gallon jug and mark lines on it for the amount of herbicide you would need to fill the PG tank when you fill it up with the poly tank mix.

10. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

What is a hot load?

When you mix in the permagreen tank do you add concentrate then the water or do you dilute the concentrate in water first then add the remaining water? I was wondering if the solution would mix properly if the water and concentrate were added separately.

I am reading all theses posts to learn more about this machine before I decide to purchase one.