filling ride-on units + how?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 18, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Curious as to how 'you all' refill your ride-on sprayer/spreaders??

We have three options depending on which pickup units/pumps we utilize (which also depends upon the size of the job). 9.5 gpm all the way up to 140 gpm.

One reason I am asking this question is due to the fact that we thought it was inexcusable for "some" to criticize "facts" with no personal experience ("two of our ride-ons sprayed out 1200 gallons in one day") -- which was quite accurate, yet a select few straight up called me a liar. (been there, done that, had to post pics, and everytime folks said "ooops, I didn't know"). :confused:

Having no clue regarding nozzles used, manpower, trucks involved, and refill pumps used, some (on this site) felt at ease to say we lied. I won't go into detail as to which brand of ride-on folks turned an informative thread into a total bashing of a competitor's unit, cuz this site is not mean't for that, but I find it sad for uninformed LCO's with little or no experience regarding "our" units to criticize what we have and what we use to get the job done.

In fact, here's a pic of our first ride-on that effectively killed weeds on a regular basis. It's for sale, so we can buy another of "what we have".

Bottom line: How do YOU refill your spray tanks on your ride-ons?

rscvp, thanks

Z-two sprayer spreader 001.jpg

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

With a HOSE! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

That is a kewl machine, If I were lic in that field that looks like what I'd like to have

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ted is right--use a hose. Although I also fill my Ultra using my 400 gallon weed killer tank and Chemlawn gun.

If you are talking dry fert--I park my Permagreen next to the pickup bed and pour the fert from the bag into the hopper while standing in the bed of the pickup.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We stand in the back of the pickup truck & fill BOTH liquid & dry fert (all at the same time) without moving our feet more than 3 or 4 feet.

It's VERY quick but this is cuz we utilize 'carrier racks'. See pic. The pump on this particular truck sports a Hypro D-50. Under two minutes per fill. "Fast and the Furious". LOL That's how we do it...cool. Got another unit that fills over 100 gpm... now that's VERY fast. Hope you all understand now how fast we fill as well as the convenience by filling the unit while on the carrier rack (which are so lightweight that on guy can lift). Thanks.

p.s. I'm getting to the point that I really do not want "our secrets" being let out. Sorry 1200 gallon doubters. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ISU + T3000 001.jpg

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Oh sure, Tell a big lie & then hide behind "I can't tell you-it's a secret":hammerhead:

Typical Larry:laugh:

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Larry,

I thought you said that you really didn't use 1200 gallon and you forgot that those numbers were from who treated that area previously?????

I am confused!

Ok then...

Tell us how many acres you covered with both machine
    How long did it take you
    What tips did you use (gallons/ac)
    How many times you filled
    Spray only or fert and spray?
    Please describe the area....flat and open or hilly and cut up

Learn me!

I would never call you a liar as you are a good friend...but no secret can DOUBLE a machines production! :dizzy:

Question I would have is...why in the heck would you WANT to use 1200 gallon through a ride on.

Water is your enemy when spraying.

The largest day I usually have (and this is a big day) with one machine is about 20-22 acres. That is only 240 gallon MAX. After that I get bored and tired and I am ready to go home! I don't like working big days anymore! :)

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Everyone's confused Rod :confused: I don't know why you bother asking questions that won't ever be answered. Some people never grow tired of trying to be King Turd of Sh!t Hill. Probably got beat up frequently when he was in school...like when y'all dog-piled him the other day. Some things never change. :dizzy:

9. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Umm...He can't tell you that-It's classified:p

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

100 gpm coming out into a 8 gal tank means a few spills and some splashing.
    Do not see how pulling onto the rack is any faster than how I do it. Plus you are filling a lot more than me. I fill once for every 6-7 times you do.