1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

filling tank with water/where to buy tank fill valve

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Leaf Turf, Oct 28, 2012.

  1. Green Leaf Turf

    Green Leaf Turf LawnSite Member
    Posts: 25

    Where can a find a tank fill valve to fill a 200 gallon tank with water with out sticking the hose in the tank?

    I see Rittenhouse has one. Any others?
  2. WestGaPineStraw

    WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 763

    Make your own out of PVC
    Posted via Mobile Device

    CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,093

    You can buy one off Lesco.

    Or you can build your own to do this you will need to install a 3/4 inch tank fitting in the top of your tank next to the lid. than install a 3/4 inch nipple about 6 inchs long in to the tank fitting and install a 3/4 pipe plug on the lower side. Than put a tee on top of the nipple. the side facing the tank opening will get a short piece of pipe and a 4/5 deg elbow the other end gets a short piece of pipe and a way to connect a hose. I used heater hose from the back of my skid to the back of the air gap.

    I used a brass nipple.And the tee and other pipe were 3/4 PVC water pipe.

    Hope this helps

    Charles Cue
  4. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,466

    We used to use a 250 gallon tank with a submersible sump pump with a back flow presenter on it and black sump pump hose to fill it.

    CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,093

    Here's some pic maybe this will help

    air gap.jpg

  6. DLCS

    DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,378


    I never thought of doing it that way with the bulkhead fitting on the top next to the tank fill opening. Thanks for the idea.
  7. Green Leaf Turf

    Green Leaf Turf LawnSite Member
    Posts: 25

    what is the bottom picture (i know the ball valve, but the part on the left side), thanks for the pictures!
  8. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 11,956

    I am not sure what that is but I am guessing it is a fast connect of some kind.

    I use a cheap gallon shut off meter from Ace hardware on my BACK FLOW PREVENTER when filling my tank. For under Ten bucks I can dial the approx Gallons I need to fill my tank and walk away to do other things. The Meter shuts off when the approx volume is reached and I don't have to be there. It has made life easier.

  9. Carolina Greens Turfcare

    Carolina Greens Turfcare LawnSite Member
    Posts: 19

    Can you take a picture of your set up, with the meter?
    Posted via Mobile Device

    CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,093

    It's the other end of the air gap and it's a quick diconnect for a garden hose. And the ball vavle is for when you remove the garden hose you don't get wet.

    Charles Cue

Share This Page