Filling the gaps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Sep 25, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

This is some flatwork we did with granite curbing. I'm debating on what I should use to fill the joints. This garden is supposed to have an old colonial feel. I'm leaning towards filling with topsoil and trying to get moss growing. Some of the larger gaps I may even plant thyme, jenny, or other "stepables".

We used 3/8" stone for the bedding layer, so I think poly sand or even stone dust to some extent will continue to migrate into the bedding. Plus, they some of the gaps are pretty large, and the granite is at least 4" thick.

Thoughts?

Picture 012.JPG

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go w/ the soil and moss idea. If your going for the colonial theme then that is the way to go. Looks good!.............................................................................................................................................................................I mean........I don't like it. It doesn't stand out enough!

Chris

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

that would fit with the surrounding plantings, are you going to antique the stone also? is a fountain going in the middle?

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

stepables is the way to go get topsoil in before migration happens

5. senatorcongressman

senatorcongressman LawnSite Member
    from WDC

Looks good! Go with the soil fill and moss or stepables. There are a ton of "moss recipes" out there. Basically you paint on a mixture of yogurt or buttermilk and some ground up moss. Keep it moist n shady and you'll have moss in a couple of weeks.

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

OK, I guess everyone agrees with me then. Moss it is.

You know you like it!

It's not supposed to stand out... it's supposed to blend :p

um, antique the stone? I wasn't going to, but maybe I can Marcus free for a Saturday and he can show me how :laugh:

Originally, a fountain was supposed to go in the middle, but it will take up too much room. So, where you see the spade in the ground... it's going there. It will be an antique hand pump well mounted on granite, running into an iron basin. I'm looking forward to it. I've yet to a fountain of any type.

BTW, I have enough of this granite now to do about as many walks and patios as I can sell. :dizzy: