Filling Up With Gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSLND, Jun 12, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume that you LCO's with crews do this, but does anyone else?

What I've been rambling around is the idea of filling (or topping off gas tanks) every day, vs. when they are empty. This way, there is no risk of running out of gas, while it gives you some time to check oil, etc. I find it much easier to spend a few dollars a day and top all my tanks off vs. waiting until everything is about to run out, then frantically going to the gas station.

Anyone do this?

Thanks A Lot!

-Mitch-

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i probably carry 25 gallons of gas outside of the full mowers. 15 or 20 in 87 and 5 or 10 in mix then on a sunday morning ill go and fill up the truck and all the tanks. i hate filling up during the week.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No definitely not. Fill up totally full,, trucks, the z and the cans, and be done with it. Matt won't waste time going to the gas station every day, he hates going as it is especially if there is a wait at the pumps. Everything gets put on a gas card that is paid off in full every month, separate receipts for the trucks and the equipment.

4. lawnmaggot

lawnmaggot LawnSite Member
    from tn

fill everything up that night before heading back to the shop, I dont want the guys wasting time at the gas station during the day

5. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

Go to the gas station the least amount of times as possible.

It's going to take much longer to make 2 trips to buy 25 gallons each than 1 trip to get 50 gallons.

But don't wait 'til you are on empty, if that means that you'll be 10 miles from the gas station when that happens.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't play around either, fill'er up is the only option.
    The mowers and any other equipment I always start out the day with full tanks.
    Then I rely on them to run the whole day on that, I don't even carry cans on my trailer... Thou I do run out about once every year or two but it's so rare.
    The truck, once that gauge gets below 1/2 it's time to start thinking about it, 1/4 tank means empty to me, I don't play the gas gauge game, if that joker gets to a 1/4 she HAS to have fuel, and, fill'er up.

7. Precision09

Precision09 LawnSite Member

Be careful people are stealing gas!!! and they like to steal when the cans are full

8. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i actually do this but i have a gas station right down the road which i pass by, ive started to chain my cans to my truck bed carrying 3-5 gallon tanks and 1-2 gallon mix is quite a bit of money nowadays

9. tras

tras LawnSite Member

I only go when things are getting low(which lately has been almost daily), and i charge everything to a tab at the local fuel station and pay it off in full each month.

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 100 gallon tank in my truck that gets filled up every two or three days, lugging cans around is a pain and they can get stolen (which they did when we used them in the past) The best part is the rate the pump fills the machines - 15 gal per minute w/ auto shutoff just like at the station. I record the amount and price per gallon for my records, gas was 2.65 to start last season!