1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Filter mats

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Lanelle, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Aquascape system for my ponds. How frequently should the filter mat in the skimmer box be replaced? We do take it out and clean it occasionally.

2. aquascape

aquascape Member

The filter in the skimmer should only be cleaned when needed, generally about once a month. All you need to do is take it out, rinse it and put it back. The filter should last for around 3 years. Make sure that you leave the BIOFALLS © filter mats alone. You clean them out only once a year.

Conor

3. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

I changed the BioFalls Filter Mats other day, They was real bad,
    I purchaced the Barley Mats
    The BioFalls didnt have the bag in it filled with gravel/stone!
    It just had a large stone holding the mats down
    Should I add the mesh bag filled with gravel into this Bio Falls?
    Thank you

4. aquascape

aquascape Member

You should fill the bags (should be 2-3) filled with ~20lbs of Lava rock. That seems to work the best for us. The reason why you don't want change the filter pads in the BIOFALLS© more than once a year is that you are killing off all of the bacteria that you have colonizing in those filter pads. You may get a period of green water now as the filter trys to re-establish itself. Keep adding the bacteria and it'll go away in a week or two. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Conor

5. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member