1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Filter minder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tonirone, Oct 1, 2007.

1. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

Does the filter minders on the donaldson air filters really work? Is it worth installing one if the machine didn't come with one?:confused
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What I don't get is why new mowers with Donaldson filters don't come with the "filter minders" installed from the factory??

I have a couple of them that have no gague. Only way to tell is to crack it open and look. Not hard, but any time it's open and u pull the filter is a chance to let dirt fall in the engine...
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think the main reason is no data exists concerning what the maximum allowable restriction is. I would install one if I knew which one to install. 28 Kohler EFI.

Kawasaki engines are very pissy when it comes to intake restictions. Simply installing a Turbo Precleaner can cause them to run vile.
  5. puppypaws

That is a very good question, I will find out and let you know.

My Hustler Super Z came with one installed as I believe all Super Z's do, but not positive.

That may be an individual company decision but if I were Donaldson I would require a filter gage on all my applications. They do not want you disturbing their filters and chancing a engine being dusted by exactly what you just posted. I have discussed this with them in detail...
  6. puppypaws

This is the answer to your question; per Donaldson...

The mower manufactures have preferences they use ( which is not smart in this case) and specify the exact set up for Donaldson filters on their mowers.

The Hustler mower company requires a filter minder on all applications of their Donaldson equipped machines.

I was told that certain mower manufactures do not want to spend the extra money to have this installed. When he told me this; I said, "you have got to be kidding me, how much money could they actually save", he said maybe $15.00.

He said, "I totally agree with you and we explain to them how important the restriction gage is and that people should not pull these filters out until they need to be replaced". Each time someone pulls a filter out to either check it or they say service, which is a terrible mistake, it is letting a certain amount of dust get inside the engine". The restriction reading is based on inches of water column and once it gets into the 8" range it should be changed .

There is no reason for anyone to touch this filtering system until the filter minder indicates the need to be changed.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a part number for the gauge and fitting kit? Donaldson only lists 15" and above in the .PDF referenced above.
  8. puppypaws

This is the company that makes the filter gage for mower applications.......

My Hustler dealer gave me a part # 788943 for theirs!

This is what mine looks like, it is graduated 1-2-3-6-8 with 8 marking the red change level.....

Filter Minder 1.jpg

Filter Minder 2.jpg

Filter Minder 3.jpg
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

My gage NEVER moved! Ever! Totally useless! Ended up knocking it off with a tree branch and had to replace the hole canister unit!

I didnt replace the minder!
  10. puppypaws

It didn't moved because you never had enough restriction to make it move.
    You probably change air filters that did not need changing based on restriction.

I have always had a habit of changing filters every year and I would bet they do not need to be changed at that time. The dirtier a filter gets the better it filters to a restriction point.

You had no faith in the filter minder and never restricted the air enough to make it move. Then you said "man that thing is not worth a crap, it never moved so it does not work". You then defeated the entire purpose of the restriction gage.