Filter suggestions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lehrjetmx, Jul 14, 2007.

1. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I have a customer that has an oval stamped concrete patio with planters and wallblock all around. Not to mention spray heads in the planters and the stamped concrete is turning colors due to the iron in the water. What can i do short of putting in a Dripline which I already suggusted. Can I put in a filter of some sort that won't kill my GPM?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

How many planters?

did you try bublers?

3. lehrjetmx

from Jersey

Customer wants a filtration system put in of some sort to keep the staining off his concrete. I suggested a Dripline and bubblers and he thinks sprays are better. Don't ask me why?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Put the water where it belongs, in the soil not on the concrete. To that end, do whatever it takes to achieve that.

BTW, once he sees the cost of a greensand filter that would work, he will think twice about filtering.

5. lehrjetmx

from Jersey

I told him that the filter was going to cost more money than changing over to a dripline/ bubbler or soaker line but this guy likes his spray pop ups. Was looking for a cheaper (less in cost) filter or set up that could be done. Will try one more time to change his mind then tell him to look into another irrigator.

6. I understand your predicament. Water sprays in a straight line. You either have to put a lot of heads in on ovals with small tight spray or position them in the bed with small fulls that stop short of the concrete. Even VANS when adjusted spray in a straight line.

7. Can you filter just that area or do you have to do the whole system?

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Even if it were achieved that he had no water going on the concrete there is always the prevailing wind (at time of activation) and accompanying drift that might get it, albeit in lesser dosages.

9. lehrjetmx

from Jersey

Purp is right as far as winds and there are alot in is backyard. I would have to do the backyard. The other thing is to cut down on the nozzles and add some more heads. The owner is pretty hell bent on a filter system.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Then tell him it will probably cost $2000-$5000 installed and there is a good chance it won't work (water running off or out of the planter) and/or it will end up killing his plants in the long run (removal of several essential nutrients).

Also, don't forget to call him a dumbass while your walking away from that job.