Filters on Spray heads??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tomcl, Oct 4, 2005.

1. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

Do you really need to use the filters that come with the RB1800's or the Hunter PS's? I can't really see the benefit of taking the time to install and clean them, but I could be missing some performance issues--Anyone??

Thanks

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you're getting dirt in the lines when you install, the little filters will keep the nozzles spraying and get you your check. Long-term, the filters will keep protecting the nozzles. If you 'service what you sell' you will use the filters. If the water supply has debris, you want to filter it before it ever gets to the system.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about these particular models since we use Toro 570s but we never install spray pop-ups without filters. We'll just be going back in and changing out the nozzles soon.

If you're installing new it is important to blow the debris (dirt, pipe shavings, unsolidified glue) out of the zone prior to installing the filter/nozzle.

On maintenance replacements we blow out when needed. Depends on water quality and whether or not it was a clean put-together but we always install the filters.

4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

The manufacturer makes those nozzle/screen combinations available to help keep trash out of the nozzle orifice. If the particle is small enough to go through the screen, then it is small enough to go through the orifice. And most plugged nozzles that I find and cannot clean with a knife blade are plugged from the inside, and the head has no filter.

The filters are there to trap the trash that enters the piping system due to repairs/rennovations or just the crap that comes through domestic water supplies.

Also if you will notice there are different colored screens with different mesh. They are for use on the smaller diameter nozzles.

The filter top also acts as an orifice that allows you to reduce the radius of throw. The screw that you adjust from the top actually begins to seat into the top of the filter, thereby reducing the flow or stopping it completely. No filter - No adjustment. Unless you are using Toro nozzles, but that is a different story.

As for my installs and repairs - every head gets a filter, no exceptions. I made a former employee go back and install filters on every head that he had installed. He had came back to the trailer with all the filters. When I asked why he said we didn't need them. My resonse was that on my jobs we did, regardless of what his last employer had done. And it's not that difficult or time-consuming to drop a filter into the flow tube before installing the nozzle.

Now from a repairman stand, just keep throwing those filters away. That way I get to follow and charge for cleaning the nozzle and putting a new filter in. And yes I do charge for the filter if that is all that is needed. I usually pick up a couple bags of filters at the supply house - left behind by those contractors who cannot be bothered with the filters. Let's see - $65.00 service call and two filters at $1.00 each. Not bad money for 15 min. work.

Just my take on the subject.

Jerry

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Friends, Romans, countrymen... (William Shakespeare. Julius Caesar. Act 3, Scene 2) lend me your filters. :D

6. Also......if you don't install the filters, the nozzle tends to leak when it is screwed down....not always, but sometimes it won't tighten down properly, almost as if the filter acts as an o ring or washer...hmmmmmm.

7. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I never put the filters in after I clean the lines! But now.............after reading this thread I just may start! :)

8. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

Absolutely no reason not to install them, especially given the cost of nozzles.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer I do the system maintenence for. It's an ongoing process due to the system being about 75% steel pipe. The first time I was there flushing out pulged sprays I noticed there was no filters in any of them. He saw me inserting one in to a head to put a new nozzle on and he said "don't use that screen, it just plugs up" Well.... the screen may plug, but it takes 10 times the junk to plug it as it does to plug the 4 tiny holes on the bottom of a full circle nozzle. PLUS, when the screen gets full you can flush it out and re-use the nozzle. Without the screen being in there many times the nozzle is pluged tight and gets tossed for a new nozzle(at $1.15 each I think).

Seems logical to me to use them. Granted most systems don't have crap flowing thru them.... now... but you never know what's going to happen in the future.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a steel pipe (galvanized?) generating its own debris, then you are more or less screwed. The only time I don't install the screens is when I use old Rainbird square-pattern nozzles on older systems, since they aren't compatible.