1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Dittgo........Those big hole brass nozzles will blow some serious organic crud through them. Impacts, brass nozzles, Imperial valet timers. Doesn't get any better than that.
  2. Very true. The issue is how to limit runoff and not let the crap in the yard get back into the streams. You can limit runoff without using MPs.

A healthy lush lawn filters a heckuva lot better than a yard full of mulch.
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I disagree... in my experience RB 3500s do not suck. I carefully calculated flow rates and all on a system that originally had Toro 300s a coupla years ago and picked nozzles accordingly... pressure had decreased in the neighborhood as new homes were added and the 300s were no longer covering.

Two of 37 or so 3500s failed and were replaced after 3 years... one looked like it was hit by an edger. PGMs/PGJs have a worse track record for me.

OTOH, I wouldn't use them with creek water.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And I counter, that they do suck :) As a percentage, they fail more than any other rotor I replace. Besides the T-Bird from many years ago. The 3500 fails way too often, in that it stops turning. Plain and simple. I also find a lot of "blow by" at the wiper seal, making it difficult for the zones to come up to pressure.
  5. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

There is nothing wrong with a disc filter, in fact, it is what I would spec for a system off creek water. Disc filters are designed to filter out algae and organic matter where a screen filter is designed to filter out sediments. I would also spec RB PSEB's as a safety precaution.

MP's suck when fed off creek/lake water. A small to medium area rotor, like the I-20 will do a fine job.