fimco atv boom sprayer, differnt tips?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by johnnybow, Apr 19, 2012.

1. johnnybow

johnnybow LawnSite Member

Just ordered a 25 gallon boom sprayer for my atv. should i just change to a different tip from the start? What do you suggest?

2. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I suggest you fill the tank with clear water, find an open area of parking lot or road, and carefully determine the application rate in terms of gal/1Ksqft. This will give you a reference. From there you can make decisions about what tips should be used, how high the boom should be away from the turfgrass, and what your ATV speed should be.

Wrooster

ps:
    By the way... from your post no one has ANY idea what you are spraying, why you are spraying, etc. -- so you will get no useful response to your question as you have provided no useful info to work with. No one here has Internet Telepathy and can magically "see" what you are trying to accomplish with your sprayer.

3. RRHAMMONS

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

Teejet AI nozzles, been using them for 8 years in my atv boom sprayer.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

As a general rule, Fimco has installed the proper size nozzles that correspond to the pump size. I am not saying you can't change the nozzles sizes to a little different size for your application. But try the factory nozzles first.

Pump rating are not what most people think. The Fimco Boom sprayer pump is rated at 60 PSI and 2 GPM. Pressure and Flow are a Inverse of each other. The Pump is rated at FREE FLOW for 2 GPM not 60 PSI @ 2 GPM. The more Flow (larger Nozzles) the less PSI. BTW the same model pumps can have slightly different out puts

The important thing about 12V demand pumps is PROPER NOZZLE SIZING. If the Nozzles are too small the Pump cycles and wears out quicker plus each time it cycles the pressure changes. (Cycles= Turning off and On) The best Set up is when the Pump runs constant and puts out a stead PSI & GPM for consistent calibration. This means having the proper Nozzle size.

Follow Wrooster's directions to both Calibrate the boom sprayer at a CONSTANT SPEED and adjust the spray nozzles at the same time for even distribution of product. Watch as the spray dries on the cement surface for that even application.

I have a Used 150 Gallon Boom sprayer that was one time used on a Golf Course. It would cost over $ 25 K brand new today. I still have to check Calibration and Distribution every so often on it. While Boom sprays can save a huge amount of application time, they are not trouble free.

Good Luck

5. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Would he gain any advantage switching from the Fimco nozzles to the same nozzle by Teejet?

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Why would the SAME nozzle from a different company be any better?????

Fact is Fimco uses Tee Jet nozzles. Yes different nozzles can be better DEPENDING etc etc. But that is a can of worms I do not wish to open here. First I don't know what he is spraying or at what rate. I don't think the Original Poster knows either at this point.