final choice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Robert S, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

i have decided to start with a mower in my budget a 22 inch self propeled. im new and dont have any lawns but if i can get 10 to 20 i will be doing good at average 35 dollers a pop. 35x10==350 more than my last job doing labor work on a ranch for 8 dollers a hour 30 hours a week tops.

2. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

good luck....all I can say is advertise, advertise, advertise

3. Steve's Mow & Trim

make sure you at least have a string trimmer, and a blower......at the very least

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Is the mower,gas,repairs (cause you WILL have them if you're starting with a residential mower, especially a self propelled) insurance, and advertising already taken out of that $350? Oh, and taxes?

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Your first year you won't make much actual profit, but if you make a good name for yourself, show up when you say you will and do a good job, the following seasons can be good to you. If you don't have much cash flow now buy what you can but sooner or later you'll have to get commercial grade equip. as well as a truck and trailer. You'll find image is everything, if your rig looks good you can charge a little more and people will hire you simply because you look professional.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't mind saying, what kind of 22" mower are you cinsidering? $350 don't sound to bad depending on what kind you get.

7. Steve's Mow & Trim

You don't have to pay taxes. Its unconstitutional to pay taxes anyways....There is no law saying you have to pay taxes in the private business world, only if you are public (invloved in stock market). Im not telling you not to pay, but with 10 lawns...id say forget it.

8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

how old are you?

9. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

Steve - You are kidding right? You don't have to be a publicly traded company to be responsible for paying taxes. Any business is liable for taxes incurred. To maintain legal status you must file every year.

Robert - only you can make the decision as to whether your business is to be a legitimate one. Keep in mind that only a legitimate business can provide long term security for you. This means properly forming a business sole prop, lls, s-corp, insuring your business, paying taxes on your business, insuring that you are properly licensed if required.

Landscaping and snow removal is a side deal for me. I would make a lot more money if I didn't follow the law. I don't like the overhead, but I have too much to lose.

10. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

im 42 and i want a toro