Final Cut: Ferris vs Kubota - Decision Time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ursushorribilus, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Either a Ferris IS 5000 Z with the 31.5 Cat diesel, or the Kubota ZD28 diesel. I had considered the 50 hp Yanmar diesel Dixie Chopper, but the deck problems turned me away.

So what's it to be, as I contemplate saying so long to 15 or 16 thousand $ Ferris IS 5000 Z, or Kubota ZD 28?

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Seing that the Kubota has a reputable engine under it and your getting ripped off if you spend more than 12K for a 72" ZD28 I would go for that. Besides...Ive always wanted a CAT diesel in a mower but when I found out it was a perkins refaced diesel I lost intrest.

3. Ursushorribilus

Thanks Bunton. So the Cat diesel in the Ferris is something other than advertised? What is a perkins refaced diesel?

4. Ursushorribilus

Ferris advertises the 31.5 Cat diesel at 55 ft/lbs of torque at 2800 rpm. Does anyone know what kind of torque the ZD 28 puts out?

5. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

would probably go w/ the Kubota, but like Bunton guy I might like a Cat in a mower. Is that really a Perkins in a Ferris? I agree w/ ya on the Chopper. My Hustler dealer tells me that Hustler is coming out w/ a CAT soon. Do not think it is the same engine as in the Ferris. Not sure but think it is a 33 or 35 hp. Don't think you can go wrong w/ the KUB though. Own 2 KUB diesels myself but not in a ztr- might have a need to check into one in the next 12 months. though. Will be interested to hear about your choice. Good Luck!

'04 Kubota RTV900 sport utility
    '04 Kubota BX2200 tractor
    '90 Ransomes-23 mitsudiesel/60deck
    '88 echo 1600 hedge trimmer
    echo pole saw
    echo stik edger
    echo blower
    '90 shindaiwa chain saw
    husgvarna weedeater

6. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Caterpiller bought stock in perkins and uses their engines in several pieces of equipment. The caterpiller backhoe uses perkins engines built to cat specs with full cat warranty and parts availibity.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with a Perkins Diesel. They have been making engines for many decades. As in Massey Fergeson, and Terex, among others. But I prefer the Kubota myself. Mostly for the way the machine is designed and built with many features the others dont use , mainly because it drives the cost of the machine up. And Kubota has been building small tractors and such for many years. And I believe Kubota is the only maker out there NOT using off the shelf hydro components.

8. Ursushorribilus

Does anyone know the torque of the ZD28?

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My locl Kubota dealer has a whole row of ZD28's w/72" Pro Deck.
    Sticker price? $10,700

Kubota

10. bikelawn

bikelawn LawnSite Member

zd28 has 53lbs of torque at 2600 rpm search in google under engine molel number and the words torque curve to see a graph n kubota's web site. You have to click on the 1105 motor to get the chart. The cat engine actually puts out 72 lbs of torque at 2200 rpm put engine model # and torque curve in google to see that torque graph. Cats are known for huge torque rise. That said I just bought a zd28 and it has more than enough power for the 60 inch deck I got. The ZD21 I tested also had plenty but the price difference wasn't much so I went with the bigger motor.