final grading questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigviclbi, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I had a customer that called about topsoil getting spread at his house. I usually don't do grading and told him this, but he says no one else has called him and asked if I'd take a look. I said yes. The only thing I wonder is that he said the contractor said it would be graded to within 4 inches of final grade. Customer said yard is devoid of topsoil. Yard is 50x100 in front and 150x75 in back. If I was to bring in 2 inches of topsoil to whole area it would be about 160 tons of topsoil? That seems like a damn lot. Also where do I determine final grade height should be? Pick a spot on the house where I think it should be or will it be determined by the plans? Am a little dubious of doing something I am not sure about but I would like to try something new if I feel like I can do a good job. Is this something that could be done with a bocat or kubota or strictly loader job?

2. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Sounds like a pretty big job if you have never done grading.. I dont really know how you came up with that "ton" figure there either.. What you need to do is this: Length X Width X Depth and then divide by 27 to get your cubic yardage measurement.

As for determining final, it will be on the plan..I would use a skidsteer.

I would strongly suggest getting a better feel for grading though prior to getting involved in a job where you have to work with plans...Just build a few small lawns, learn how to sub and final, learn what to do with your watershed and then go from there.

Perhaps YOU know of someone in your area who would like this one? Give it to them, and work with them so you can learn.

-Reuben

3. WhohasHelios?

So, if your builder actually does leave it four inches below final you will need about 150 yards of top soil. Are you doing the grading only??..What is going on the final?? Lawn??...I know around here anyways that spec is usually 6-8 inches of growing medium (topsoil) for turf...

Hope these posts help you out!
    =)

-Reuben

4. bigviclbi

from nj

Yeah I put in a call to someone already, would rather make 5% doing nothing. I did the estimation based on my formula for spreading stone, OBVIOUSLY WRONG now I know how to get on for soil. Thanks, like I said I highly doubt that I will do this just interested in how stuff like this works. Thanks for the reply. :) I do pavers and gardens, I'll probably stick to that.

5. WhohasHelios?

Fair enough man..Making 5 % is great, but it may be a great opportunity to make a bit of money and learn alot while doing so. With a good operator on a decent skidsteer and a good groundman working with him, it should only take 3/4 of day...He can be buying you a beer by 3:30 :cool2:

Good luck =)

-Reuben

6. bigviclbi

from nj

I thought at first you told me not to do it, now going the other way? :) let's say 160 yards of soil. I pay for it by the ton though around here. Is it fair to say 1 ton of soil is about a yard?

7. bigviclbi

from nj

Does this sound acceptable for the job if I decided to do it.
    160 tons soil x$18.00 +$300 delivery+tax=app. $3370.00
    bobcat rental $225.00
    gas $15.00
    1 guy in bobcat and two guys raking 8 hours=24 total hours
    24 hours at $50.00=$1200.00

materials+labor (3370.00+$1200.00)=$4570.00 total
    Doesn't sound very expensive to me, now the question is do you guys t hink this is feasible?

8. WhohasHelios?

lol...no no...I meant a great opportunity to learn via subbing it...Or whatever..I learn best by doing...luckily i have never gotten in over my head so far and do some pretty sizeable scaping..

But no, I still say sub it out and work with them on site to learn a bit...then take your own job the next time..

9. WhohasHelios?

Your price looks about right..Though pricing for top soil is different here. And I would pay closer to 350.00 for a day to rent a skidsteer. Was yours including drop off and pick up?

10. bigviclbi

from nj

Haven't gotten in over my head yet either, but right up to my damn neck :) :) What I'll probably do is wait and see if this guy calls me back so I can sub it out, if not I'll check out the property and see if it is worth it. If my price seems reasonable i could make some $$. Yeah that includes pick up and delivery, about $200 for skid and 25 for delivery depending on distance definately not more than $250.00.Would a tractor be better for grading or would it be too slow? The few times I've graded out yards to lay stone it seems that tractor front loaders seem to be more controlled, but skid steers I can really whip around on and am used to the controls.