Final Mower Selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tremens, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Tremens

Tremens LawnSite Member

I have about $3,500 to $4,000 to spend on a mower for my 1.5 acre property. I have done much research on the various mowers around this price range and have come up with 4 from which I should choose.

42" Hustler Mini FasTrack w/ 16hp Honda = $3650
    44" Hustler FasTrack w/ 16hp Honda = $4350
    44" Simplicity Consumer Z w/ 18hp Kohler = $4000
    48" Simplicty Citation (homeowner used) w/ 21 Briggs Vanguard = $3500

I originally wanted to find a used commercial machine, but have been unable to do so. Also, my wife likes the idea of having a warranty with the new machines. The cheapest commercial machine that I found was the Lexmark CT at $4850.

I favor the Hustler's from the point of view that they seem to be built stronger than the Simplicitys and the dealer has been very helpful thus far. The Simplicitys, however, have commercial drive pumps and are slightly larger. I am fortunate that both dealers are within 20 minutes from my home and will be demoing both on Friday.

Finally, to add a couple more things into the confusion... I need something that will be good on hills as I have a couple of somewhat steep inclines. I also will probably be moving within 5-7 years to a larger yard.

I know that all of this has been answered many times before, but any help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to add any ideas that I haven't included. I am very interested to hear from people who own any of the above mowers. Most of the posts that I have seen by owners are from newer owners of the machines (< 1 year). I'd like to hear how they hold up.

Thank you!