1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally.... A demo!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mickhippy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Pj, Just thought you'd like to know that after all this time, (It has been a while after all! hehe) I finally had a go/demo of a SuperZ 28/60 today!

I have to mention that Chris Adams was loaded with..... hehe! knowledge about the machines and a great guy. (Pay me later Chris! ha)

Wont say anymore than its a great machine. Very tough nuggety little machine and the only thing that let me down was my own extremely limited experience on "ANY" .... ZTR! Probably only drove it for a little over an hour and while was fine most of the time, turning from running down hill left a few skiddies,.............. in my undies! haha No really! hehe :cool2:

I reckon I'd have it down semi almost pat in a few hrs. Found it alot smoother than the little Dog/ Greatdane I had 15min go of a while a go! ha (yes, a little drunt now!)

While I'd let my lawn grow a little longer than normal, I thought it would cut a bit better than it did. It all needed to be double cut and while it was longer than usual, it wasnt thick and left a lot of "stringers".

That said, it was fast!

Ok, I'll admit it finally.................. ZTR's are faster than tractors! :cry: :blush: But at least I can stop going down hill! ha! :p
    I'm not going to say anymore about that! :waving:

Anyway, heres a pic!
    Tell me, should this grass need to be double cut? There was some moisture in it from recent rain, it was half way up ya shin in places!

Chris, I know your going to read this! By no means am I bagging it, just that it was first time on one/any Z for an amount of time and didnt know what to expect is all! How was the beer anyway? hehe :cool:

Gotta go!

2. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

Hey Mick, good to see you on the yellow machine. I hear you when you ask about double cutting that grass. I'm not sure what blade set up Chris had on the machine, but the other day I put a set of these on. Chalk and cheese mate. It was like I was on a different mower. I cut a lot hard to cut grass myself and especially this time of year when there's a lot of moisture in it, these made a big difference.

high lift blade.jpg
  3. Mickhippy

Bob, they look about the same blade to me. I'm not sure if they were low or med lift blades.

To be fair, my regular lawns dont get as long as in the pic but usually, first cut properties are a little longer and from the cut, would need to be double cut to produce the desired result. I have a hang over so bare with me! ;)

What is the blade in the pic?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

With the grass that tall it would need to be double cut with about any mower. With the mowers we use that would have had to been triple cut.
  5. Mickhippy

Travis, I would of thought it would cut better than it did. I mean, its a commercial mower and while the grass was a little long, it was by no means thick. Easy stuff really!

That said, only times I do lawns that long are when there new to me or missed after rain for a week.

For the record, that grass, I let it grow for 2 weeks without a cut for the demo. Usually it gets mowed once a week or so.
    Main problem wasnt the grass blades but the seed stems.

Chris, if you read this, what were the baldes. Were they low or med lift?
  6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want to see a good cut, put double high-lifts on it. Hustlers really shine with High-lifts.
    Night and day difference!
  7. Mickhippy

Med lifts around here mate! Have you ever mowed grass that grows in red volcanic soil/clay!
    Its the most sticky, slippery god forsaken stuff you could imagine. Great for gardens/lawns but hell on the mower decks!

Have been told by some "other" mower users that they have same problem with leaving stringers!

That makes it not such a big deal for me now!

I believe hustler are coming out with a small, short blade that goes above the normal blade to help with some of the problems! = extra lift or something!

To me, thats an extra blade = extra cost!

Have a mate who owns a Toro with turbo force deck. He said same happens to him on same grass type. He swears by his deck so makes me feel better about the Hustler!

Jibbering aint I? Been drinkin ok! heeeee :cool2: