Finally,a use for black plastic edging...striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NickN, Jul 27, 2004.

1. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Came up with a new material to stripe with.Black plastic edging.When I noticed how well the 21" was striping,I realized it was the flap,so with that in mind I tried to figure a way to mount one on the Toro Z.
    That's when I remembered I had some black plastic edging laying around.So,I looked under the mower for a mounting point.Luckily,Toro has a crossmember in the rear,so I could try it out without drilling.I simply snapped the round (top) edge over the crossmember and tried it out.
    Worked pretty darn good.Not as good as a roller,but better than chains.Only problem was that when going forward and having the grass cut at 2.5 inches and the "flap" being about 1 inch off the ground,it tended to slip backwards.So,I cut a slit in the middle,right below where the round top fits over the crossmember and installed a hose clamp and tightened it down.Now it stays in place and produces stripes.
    Also,this was the real cheapo plastic i used around some trees in my lawn.It isn't as stiff as the premium grade and bends when going over the lawn.It also has a slit at the top that travels the entire length of edging instead of being a solid top.
    Anyway,there's another way to make stripes.
    PS.I mounted a 2 inch schedule 40 PVC to the back of the deck,via anti scalp mounting points and it striped great.I see why everyone like rollers now.Didn't last long as the bolts I used mount it with started coming out.
    Oh!No pics,sorry.Home pc has to be completely reloaded(virus) and the camera batteries are dead for now.
    I'll post some ASAP.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, flaps work. Here's a flap designed for an eXmark gear drive on my Bob-Cat. There's a small loop that runs across the bottom and I put some threaded rod in there with my drill.

equipment 005.jpg
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The edging wiggles until it breaks though.... usually near the top...
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

cool idea, i'm gonna try that!
  5. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

What type of eding is that and where did you buy it?

6. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

HMMM I always used it for..........................EDGING