Finally Added One

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Mowingkid35, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Mowingkid35

Mowingkid35 LawnSite Senior Member

I picked this up couple days ago. 2003 Chevy 4500 220,000mi. 8.1L gasser, 10' crysteel box.

Chevy 4500.jpg

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a slick truck. What did it set you back?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Do you a lot of landscaping? That's a cool truck but a bit much to pull around mowers. You better enjoy cheap gas now. That 8.1 is like flushing a toilet when you stomp on it. My dad has two of them in his Baja boat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The 8.1 was not known for being a great long lasting engine. I would not put a lot of faith in that motor. Hopefully it was not more then about $3500. Like the other guy said the millage is going to bankrupt you.

The 8.1 was GM grand idea to satisfy guys who had D-Max dreams but a trailer park budget. It was a short lived engine that most people who could do even basic math quickly figured out was going to make them go broke. The 8.1 Vortec should have been called the Gas Bong 8.1. Dodge was guilty of making the V-10 as well.

5. Mowingkid35

Mowingkid35 LawnSite Senior Member

$13,500
    Yeah, everyday. The only reason why i went with this truck and the gas motor was because i looked at others like this with the duramax and it was a significant amount more to go with diesel.
    Ive heard otherwise about the motor, but who knows time will tell. I feel like we picked it up for a relatively good price that if it really comes down to needing a new motor somewhere down the road i can still come out money ahead.

6. PlantscapeSolutions

I'm sure many of us have been guilty of buying a truck with out doing a little research and I'm guessing that is what you did. If you simply look online you can find the same truck with a Diesel for about the same price from dealers trying to get top dollar. You can also find gassers with half your millage for just a tad more then you paid. From a private seller you can usually get a much better deal. It's all a learning experience.

Also, can we put the phrase "sick truck" out to pasture please Lawnsite moderator. I think that's one semi oxymoron adjective we can do without. It's been used to death and well, well beyond.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Its slick. Not sick
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. PlantscapeSolutions

Sorry, I've got "sick truck" tunnel vision from hearing it so many times.

9. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats Mowingkid on your 4500, I hope you get lots of work out of it. It looks clean!

10. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How much weight can you load into the bed?