Finally (almost) mastered my blade grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I finally figured out how to get the right angle on my blades using my Oregon blade grinder. It took a lot of tweeking and adjusting. My next question is this....when you guys sharpen your blades using a dedicated grinder, do you put and pressure on the blade while it's on the wheel? What I mean is, is it neccessary to push the blade into the wheel? If so, how much pressure do you put on it?

Also, I am having trouble getting the tips sharp, they seem to be getting rounded off. Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you apply a bit of pressure. If you are rounding off the tips, that is not good. Make sure you keep the blade absolutely straight as it comes out and the wheel is at the tip. I've seen some people pull the end they're holding onto over to the left as the blade gets freed up, and this what causes it. As a matter of fact, as I think of it, I even let up on the pressure just a little bit as it gets near the tip. With your type of grinder, you should be using fast strokes. It should only take about a second and a half, at most, to run through the wheel per stroke. Count your strokes, and rotate and repeat on the other end. This keeps your blade close to your balance point as you go through the sharpening.

3. Expert Lawns

thanks Joe, I've been practicing a lot on old blades. I'll give it a go on a good set. By the way, I contacted John twice....no call back as of yet. If you see him, have him call me. I'd like to meet up with him sometime soon

4. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Expert Lawns
    Sounds like your plz with the Oregon blade grinder.
    I have been sending my blades out to a local shop. But have been thinking of getting a Oregon blade grinder. Can you get the razer sharp edge on the blades?

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Light pressure is the key. You want to keep things moving so that the blade doesn't heat up too much and loose it's temper. Practice is the key and it sounds like you have been doing that.

Gravely_Man

6. Expert Lawns

Bamaa, yes I can keep a razor sharp edge and the factory angle. I love it now that I am good at it. Was a bit leary at first, but practice makes perfect. Bought mine at a local dealer for $229. I can now justify the price. Beats paying $6/blade.

Gravely Man, I have noticed that if I accidently leave the blade in one spot too long or if I move too slowly, the blade heats up and turns blueish black. Obviously not a good thing. Never thought my old blades would come in handy!

Ground Effects NH likes this.
  7. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Expert Lawn, glad to hear you are getting the hang of your oregon. I use a magna matic and love it. Pressure is okay right up to the point that you start bogging down the electric motor. Another point, if you are leaving "burn" marks on the blade either move the blade faster or back off the pressure some. No more $5-6 per blade sharpen fee here anymore. One of the best purchases I've made.

8. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys
    I am sold, Will have to buy a Oregon blade grinder or a Magna Matic Grinder. Like you all said IT ADD'S UP QUICK @ 6$ A pop

9. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Okay, now the old minds a thinkin'. I'd like to get a dedicated grinder, but have a hard time justifying the $$$ for the well known brands. The Oregon grinder at less than $300 sounds really good, but I have heard a couple of bad things about it and now one good review. Does anybody else have any first hand experience with the Oregon? If so, what do you think? Can they do a wavy (mulching) blade? Is this one of those items where you get what you pay for? I would rather spend the $700 on a magnamatic now than find out that the Oregon wasn't up to snuff and have an additional $300 wrapped up in the endeavor. What about used grinders? Anybody ever have any luck finding one?

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

RBG grinders are about the best I believe. They can be rebuilt and last forever with 3 different options for wheels. Run about 350$ on the web. I know five dealers that use them and two other companies that use them everyday.