1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally built up the trailer walls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Jul 24, 2003.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

This is matt and the trailer is finally done. Did it why my brother was gone. For the materials it was a little less than 100. The walls are 4' tall and are sturdy for plywood.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

OK.....................................good job............. Why is the right boards not flush against the 4x4?
  3. dlandscaping

from mass

because in the trailow that bottom board curves up at the end for some reason, its the same on the other side but that 4x4 is cut at the bottom to make it less noticable
  4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If you think it looks good, that is all that matters. Not sure how well it will hold up though.
  5. dlandscaping

from mass

its supported by 2in deep on the sides (dist from wood boards to metal side of trailor, but the L hinges, the two 4x4 the 2x4 that you see and another 2x4 running horizontally on the right which takes weight off the bottom of the plywood
  6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful if you plan to fill that thing up with soil or mulch ... I don't know how well the sides will take to it like that.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If it's a single axle you won't be able to fill it more than halfway with mulch, less with soil. 3 yrds of mulch in my 6x12 open squats it almost to the fenders and it has 15" wheels on a 5,000 lb. axle, BUT the springs are not stiff enough for more than 3 yrds which is roughly 3k lbs right? Also be careful if you don't have trailer brakes. The 3 yrds mulch in my trailer is very heavy to take off and stop.
    However your sides look like they'd serve well for a rolling billboard, 2 or 3 mpg loss and also to keep your competitors from seeing your secret weapons :D and also might be a pain at the gas pump... make a little 12" x 12" door with hinge and latch to stick the gas pump through if this will be for mowers.
  8. dlandscaping

from mass

I wont lose 3mpg towing that, i have the psd and if it worked right than id be all set. I learned my lesson about trailers and gas stations. After being stuck in one for over 45 minutes because of a stupid woman driver i wont do it again. I just use 5 gallon containers now. Trailer doesnt have brakes but i havent needed them with the new f350.