Finally came across some Valve in head rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 2, 2013.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Man these suckers were most likely putting out 40 gpm each..

We are going to take over a giant corporate system with some pretty big (for me) wells..

so far both are 5 hp sub. Rust out the harce..

broken stuff everywhere...These systems haven't seen TLc in over 3-4 years.

Anyone ever heard of Big Bear or John deere D-50's?

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

i've replaced 3 50gpm wells in the last 2 years. those suckers are heavy! all were on galvi pipe too with bottom checks.
    the new ones hum like a dream

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Bear is supposedly a brand name of Signature, who bought Nelson

4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

The system I work on has 108 heads at 55 gpm each with 100 psi at the heads. The pump is a 25 hp submersible.
    We had one guy accidentally knock off a solenoid while working around a head, the stream hit him square in the chest and knocked him over!

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Last year we pulled a 5 hp sub. It was on 30' of 2" galvanized. The pump and motor stood about 6' tall. Those things are heavy. We used an upsy daisy and it wouldn't lift it so we had to pull with our hands too.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Good thing he was wearing eye protection:eek:
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen VIH head's cause problem's like that a couple of different time's. A lot of time's the pitot tube get's cut with a shovel and the head come's on, if the swingjoint is backfilled around that's not a big deal, but if it isn't then the the head flop's around, at 90 GPM, that can be a problem. But the worst was a toro 690 with a 1 1/2 inlet at 120 psi. The snap ring that hold's the head in the body was gone but the guy working on it didn't realize that. He turned the head on, without the lid, and there is a 1" x 1/2" internally threaded steel rod to hold that lid on. And the gut's of the head blew out and hit the guy in the mouth taking out three of his teeth, breaking his jaw and chipping his orbit. I never put my face over a head when turning it on, and i did this long before that happened, and this why.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I was working on a pool pump when the pot lid came loose. I had my left hand on the lid. Hit myself so hard it knocked my glass eye out (hate it when that happens) and gave me a black eye from the center of my face to the center of my chin.

Good thing it was my left side.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

I was gonna say that my last job (country club) used toro DT54's that were 45 gpm and 80 psi at the nozzle, mainline to the head was 120 psi, but I see sprinkus already had me beat. I sure do miss working with that system though.