Finally ! Clockwise Rotating Weedeaters....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville2, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

A friend of mine recently invented a way to make a commercial straight shaft weedeater rotate in the Clockwise
    direction. Unfortunately I wil not be able to discuss the method(s) used since he is contemplating a patent on it butsuffice to say it will work on all majot brand, built ruggedly and adds only an insignificatn amount of weight to the unit.

His question to me was how much would a person pay for such a modification?.....I told him I would attempt to get some input on his behalf....So How much (if any) is clockwise rotation worth to you?

I told him I would probably go $200 for such a device because I really wanted Clockwise to start with....

Thanks for your input
    Andrew

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I would not have much interest in it.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea i could live with the little bit of torque movement. If they offered a shindaiwa with this new divice and without and the one with was 20 bucks more i probably still wouldn't buy it.

4. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

How would it work because my Stihl weedeater has lefthanded threads on the head? If it turned clockwise it would loosen the head when you used it. Why would anyone want it to spin clockwise anyway?

Mac

5. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

why does it matter?

6. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I just got through working on a craftsman weedeater for my uncle and it is a straight shaft and looking down at the head it does turn clockwise. It reminded me of my old curved shaft weedeater brand weedeater. I took it out and ran it and I did like it rotating that way. Then I got out my stihl fs80 and it turns like most of the other straight shafts. It also reminded me of why I got rid of my old weedeater too, the stihl felt like it had 2 to 3 times more power.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

How much would I pay? Nothing. In fact, considering it would void the warranty it may end up being very costly in the long run. Not to mention what OSHA and workers comp people what have to say about it in the event of worker injury.

8. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

What difference does it make which way it spins? You can get used to either direction spinning if you have to.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Personally I wouldn't pay anything for it because I don't care which way the weedeater head spins.

10. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

I really dont care for it cuz i love the way they go now :p thats my 2 since but never fales to try ya know :blob3: