Finally demoed a SCAG Cheetah today......REVIEW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StihlBR600, May 16, 2012.

1. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pictures of a yard i cut today. Today i cut it at 5" it was crazy long. You can see how the Velocity deck leaves a strip of clumped grass when cutting backwards. Which isnt that big of a deal but its something i dont like.

photo 1 (2).JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

2. snow4me

snow4me LawnSite Member
    Male, from Barrington IL

Mark,

Do you ever feel like the SCZ61V-921FX is underpowered? How about fuel consumption per hour...have you ever calculated your average so far?

I'm debating which engine to choose for my Cheetah. I want enough power but also would like to keep fuel costs reasonable. I have a 35hp Briggs Vanguard on a Exmark LZ60 unit that is a gas hog so I'm worried that may happen again if I choose the 36hp Vanguard engine on the cheetah.

3. USMC1153

USMC1153 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the post,
    I haven't felt that my Cheetah is underpowered, but I also have not used any other mower to compare it too. It only seems like the engine bogs down when I cut grass that has grown a few inches and has a lot of moisture in it after a rain. But I would think most mowers would act the same as mine in the situation.

I have never calculated my fuel consumption. And I do have the high lift blades, and was told they may contribute to more fuel consumption. When I go out next time I'll top the mower off and try to get an average. But I'll tell you it feels like I get about an hour per gallon of gas.

I went back and forth on the engines too, I only went with the 31HP Kaw because I know a few other contractors that have had that engine and swore that with proper maintenance it would not give me any issues so I went with it.

Thanks
    Mark

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Apples to apples, the Vanguards are more powerful feeling and offer noticeably better fuel economy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

My 32 Vanguard sucks gas and has plenty of power. I wouldnt want the 36. Theres no need for it

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

They're not designed to cut in reverse and leave behind a manicured cut.

7. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have one with the 34 kohler and I feel it is the best of both worlds. Has plenty of power and is not bad on fuel. I have not checked it in a while but when I first got it I was getting around 1.5 to 1.6 gph which I felt was ok considering it is a 72" cut.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Big Briggs on scag with 61" runs $3.61 per hour with propane or 1.8gal/hr.

9. snow4me

snow4me LawnSite Member
    Male, from Barrington IL

What do you mean? They all suck gas...how many gph on your 32 Briggs Cheetah?

I got a quote from local dealer today $9700 for same unit you've got. I am concerned about fuel economy though. Last year I ran an Exmark LZ60 with a 35hp Vanguard engine and that sucker ate through 2gph when it was fast growth and it only dropped to 1.8 during slow growth periods.

I've still got that beast but is sit parked unless I'm real busy and hire a helper to mow with me. In March I picked up a SCAG Turf Tiger w/ 27hp Kawi L/C and I just mowed for 8 hours today and it only took 8.5 gallons to fill it back up.

What did you pay for yours?

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah there's a trade off when you get up to that much power. my 26hp kawi engine uses about 1.2gph which is great. 1.8-2 gph is kindof bad and i don't think i would go that route. i think the best balance is the 34hp kohler engine using about 1.5gph. that seems to be the best balance of power and fuel usage i've heard about so far.