Finally demoed a SCAG Cheetah today......REVIEW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StihlBR600, May 16, 2012.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel economy depends on several factors:

Hydro system
    Mower weight
    Deck design

For instance, my 28hp EFI Kohler effortlessly powered many mowers in the past. It wasn't until mowers got over 1200lbs and used hydro pumps 2x's larger than most that this engine suddenly became overwhelmed.

Todays engines are working harder with these bigger more complex hydro systems, bigger spindles, pulleys, blades, and now some mowers that are 1500+ lbs!

My old Dixie Chopper was 900 some pounds. Older Lazers were right at 1000 pounds.
  2. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pictures of my Cheetah on the hill in my backyard. Its a 30 slope all the way across. The Cheetah handles it with no problem at all. Either sideways or up and down

photo 2 (2).JPG

photo 1 (3).JPG
  3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

WOW...hope wet grass doesn't make you end up taking a swim!
  4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I think your angle finder is lying to you. A 30 degree slope is much steeper than that. On wet grass your fett slide out from under you. That might be 15 to 20 degrees.
  5. StihlBR600

Im not going to lie the pictures dont look steep at all lol. But ill try to get a pic of the angle finder so i can prove how steep it is

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Looks like a slope to me not even a hill. Just saying
  7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

If you have a level spot on your mower set the angle finder on it. Mine is magnetized so i can watch it as i mow a hill. Also for the heck of it check the slope on your stairs for a comparison. Nice place.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

9. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright, so which engine offers great power (me coming from a 23HP Kawasaki) and the best fuel economy? Looking to demo one soon.
  10. StihlBR600

Well coming from experience my 32 Vanguard has plenty of power and sucks gas sooo fast! i go through double the amount of gas i did with my old 21 HP kawasaki. I would say it sucks 1.8 gallons per hour. But i love the mower i wouldnt trade it for any other brand out there.