Finally demoed a SCAG Cheetah today......REVIEW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StihlBR600, May 16, 2012.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That is comparing a 675cc (36lb/ft torque), to a 999cc (close to 50lb/ft torque) engine.

Put the big Vanguard on whatever is being powered with that 21 kawi and you likely wouldn't see much difference in fuel usage

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just had a Cheetah with the 31 kawi dellivered Saturday, 5 hrs and 10 gallons of gas. Is there a break in period on these where they use more gas in the inital few weeks of use

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Think of it this way, if it were a Turf Tiger, you'd have run out of gas in that 5hrs!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

So the 31 kaw is worse on gas then the 36 vanguard?

5. ztman

Dont know about the Vanguard, but we will see what the 31 kawi does when it gets a few more hours on it. I will say it is an awesome machine. The ride is great, and the cut is better. Replaced a jd zt with this mower, the jd was a nice machine, but I would rate the cheetah up from the jd about two notches

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

What model JD did you have before this Cheetah?

7. ztman

I had a z830a, was three years old and just had under 400 hours when i traded it.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I was just curious if you had had the newer 900 series, or something earlier is all. The 900's are noticably improved over the 800 and ealier 700 series in several areas.

I was literally one day away from buying a new Scag TT when I bought my Z950 instead. The salesman tries to talk me into a Cheetah, but I really didn't like a couple of things in particular things on the on it compared with the TT, but mainly I felt very cramped on it. Especially so compared to the 950. I know the Cheetahs are great mowers, but I wouldn't say they are a step up from the newer 900's in any way at all outside of the suspended operator platform. :)

9. ztman

I would assume the 900 series is an upgrade from the 800s. I know JD wanted to get out of the 800 series name because of the bad rep the hydros had. Mine had all the upgrades, and then after some persuasion, JD agreed to put new hydros in. In all I enjoyed the JD, other than the jerky steering and for my needs the cheetah is a better fit. I use the mower at my residence and mow 8 acres about every four days. I wanted something that had a nice suspension and the JD man suggested i move up to the 997 which I think is overkill for what I have thats why I went with the cheetah HAPPY MOWING

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I'll give you one thing- the JD sure doesn't ride like the Cheetah!