Finally demoed a SCAG Cheetah today......REVIEW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StihlBR600, May 16, 2012.

1. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I like the next lazer but i think the decks dont fit my need. I like gravely but I cant get a 460 to demo anywhere I even called gravely with no response. I think scag is the one for me after a demo of course. How does the cheetah do on hills and slopes. I have about 4 passes with my 2004 72 inch hustler about 30 foot long.

2. JABBERS

from Ohio

Can anyone help me out here? How does the cheetah do on slopes and hills?

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see any reason why it would be different than the Tiger Cub or Turf Tiger with a 61" deck. Wide tires, and wide wheel base and low center of gravity should be fine.

4. JABBERS

from Ohio

Ive been on many ztr's and they are all different. I demoed the 260 gravely and it was ok the 460 is supposed to be better. My hustler is better than my exmark. The next lazer is better than my older exmark.

5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Now wait just a minute..... when did men start letting logic have anything to do with the decisions we make ??!! :laugh:
    Stan

6. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure you're aware of this, but sometimes what is percieved to be a big difference in the way 2 mowers ride and hold hills, is nothing more than a difference in air pressure in the tires between the 2 mowers.

IMO the very first thing a person should do when demoing a ZTR is to set the pressure in the tires to an appropriate level. Some come shipped from the factory at a pressure that is much too high for mowing...makes for bad handling and a terrible ride.

7. JABBERS

from Ohio

I like to research all my major purchases. I run 9.5 psi in my rear tires so I realize this. While I'm waiting for a demo I like to do some research. I heard the turf tiger is good but I haven't really heard how bad the cheetah is on hills.

8. markcp

markcp LawnSite Member
    from MN

The T.T. runs under the seat gas tank, while T. Cub runs higher mounted side tanks. This will change center of gravity some. I don't know if it will be enough of a difference on side hills?

9. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Now if we could just get some exmark decks on scag mowers so that we would not have the Velocity Sugar Cookie Effect every time we use it with a mulch plate.....

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The hillside and reverse traction is the reason I don't own one today. It wasn't that bad but was noticeably worse than our turf tigers, super z, and IS1500zx. It could possibly be addressed with some low hanging ballast behind the drive tires... It took a while to get up to speed too and cost some time over the super z. The price really is right on them though