1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Finally done

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOLLYWOOD6973, Nov 21, 2003.

1. HOLLYWOOD6973

HOLLYWOOD6973 LawnSite Member
    from PGH PA

Today was are last day, We pressure washed all the equipment and closed the doors. Now its time to relax till the snow comes!
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Good tp know someones done. We have 30 something to get done by Thanksgiving. Would be nice to have some relaxation time. :(
  3. HOLLYWOOD6973

HOLLYWOOD6973 LawnSite Member
    from PGH PA

all the leave are cleaned up and we did are last cuts. but the warm weather makes me think the grass will still grow. I hope not because the ground is saturated
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How can anyone in this business have a "last day". EsPECially those that are geared toward making money. Those that are geared toward making money keep their equipment in the field and running right up until outside conditions and circumstances disallow them to operate. I have so many extra cleanups still booked that I KNOW I will have a hard time finishing. Why would you just call it "quits" at this time. Yes, the plows are ready to go, the spreaders are all on and running and greased, and the maintenance is done on the trucks (universal, front end part replacement, and electrical check). There is just WAY too much money just sitting on the table, ready to take, to just sit down and bow out at this point.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with you Runner to a certain point, but when there is nothing left to do, there is nothing left to do. Right now I am just doing "stupid" jobs as I call them because all of my customers fall cleans ups are done and landscaping is winterized. Seriously, I am like searching for additional work big time. I am mostly just waiting for the late callers (not regular customers) for fall clean ups, which I received 3 tonight.

Yes, I agree that you shouldn't shut down shop totally until the snow flys.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with Runner on this one. We have hardscape installs scheduled up til the 3rd week of December.I don't care if it snows or not, we'll plow in the morning, and lay pavers in the afternoon. The weather is too finicky and unpredictable around here to ever be "done" for the season.It snowed here a week ago, just flurries, and the last two days it has been like, 65 degrees.I'll take all we can handle.It's kinda funny to still be doing cleanups to mow the grass this late in Nov, and doing holiday lighting, too.BTW-we are still Hydroseeding as well..payup
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What in the world is wrong with being finished?

Wednesday is our last day of the season for us unless I get any more calls for clean ups. But I'm hoping I don't. I've had enough for one year. It was non stop her in the NE with all the rain this year. We took on a bunch more leaf clean ups over last year and I am happy for that. So enough is enough. 3 plow trucks are almost ready for 90 some accounts and I need a little break before the white stuff comes.

142 full service mowing accounts, personally doing the maintenance each week on 3, 72" Toro Groundsmasters, 3, 61" WB's and Z, a 52" WB, and a couple of 21"er's as well kept me a busy guy. If you want to do decorative lighting, clean gutters etc., hey, go for it.

But I can't wait to be finished...
  8. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Then I guess it's BEER:30 for you, Hollywood! Congrats!
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

AAhhhh....To be done.........Not yet, 2 more weeks.
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've got about 15 more clean-ups to do, a few are second round the rest are 1 time customers. I am still taking calls and will until the snow flies!!!!:D If the snow holds off for a while I have a couple of projects to get to so I can get a jump on spring!!! Keep it rolling in payup payup payup !!!!